Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a third car that only got 400 miles on it last year all 5 - 10 min. trips. the oil is about 1 yr. old, I know the quickie lube places say to change it every 3mo. I believe this is b.s. but not sure how long I should let it go. Any (ok most) opinions will be appreciated. Thank you

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
You need to drive the car more.You should get it to full operating temperature for at least 20 minutes every two weeks.Short trips are really bad for engines.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
You need to drive the car more.You should get it to full operating temperature for at least 20 minutes every two weeks.Short trips are really bad for engines.
Our 2004 Tahoe is up at our other house, We don't drive it much, Last 2 years 4,000 miles. I do have a battery tender on it or it will kill the battery. Last time it was cranked was Christmas. As bad of luck I've had with GM products I expect it to die soon, mostly because It doesn't get cranked up enough!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So who often should I change the oil?

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
I have a third car that only got 400 miles on it last year all 5 - 10 min. trips. the oil is about 1 yr. old, I know the quickie lube places say to change it every 3mo. I believe this is b.s. but not sure how long I should let it go. Any (ok most) opinions will be appreciated. Thank you
Oil does not breakdown or "wear out" but it does become contaminated along with the degradation of the additives in modern day oil. As stated short-trips can be as hard as long trips, but todays vehicles have small efficient engines engines that reach lean fuel and higher operating temperatures quickly which aid in keeping the engine "clean".

There is no one answer. Depending on the vehicles value I would suggest visually inspecting the oil and when ity looks "dirty" change it..be it 3 month or a year.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Oil does not breakdown or "wear out" .
Interesting..I was taught different.

Viscosity begins breaking down immediately upon use, as I was led to believe anyhoo,,,TLW

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Viscosity begins breaking down immediately upon use, as I was led to believe anyhoo,,,TLW
see this is the thing, I really don't know about some everyday issues that may arise. Also I see the some people turn off the a/c before turning off the car. Whats that all about? Does this do any good? Thank you

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone else?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i "reclaim" oil for a living, oil is oil it gets dirty and it looses its additives if u get the dirt and water out and put the additives back in its basically new again. also like stated b4 if you take short trips the oil doesnt get to operating temp where it does the most good..when u do drive it try to extend the driving time to get the engine hotter to complete a hole heat cycle. i think i saw somewhere that short tips r also bad for ur cats..something about them not getting hot makes it get clogged faster..

iv always turn off all accessories when i start and turn off my cars i heard it was good for the alternator to have less of a load or something, but idk if that hold any real meaning.

·
having fun
31,331 Posts
i "reclaim" oil for a living, oil is oil it gets dirty and it looses its additives if u get the dirt and water out and put the additives back in its basically new again. also like stated b4 if you take short trips the oil doesnt get to operating temp where it does the most good..when u do drive it try to extend the driving time to get the engine hotter to complete a hole heat cycle. i think i saw somewhere that short tips r also bad for ur cats..something about them not getting hot makes it get clogged faster..

iv always turn off all accessories when i start and turn off my cars i heard it was good for the alternator to have less of a load or something, but idk if that hold any real meaning.
what oil do you use in your car?....

and who needs cats?......

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts

I'm not a chemist but as I understood it viscosity is due to a realtionship of the additives..and not directly the base oil.

When I posted "oil" at that point I was speaking about the base..not the aggregate. sorry.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Oil does not go bad sitting there. It has been in the ground for hundreds oy years. lol

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
I'm not a chemist but as I understood it viscosity is due to a realtionship of the additives..and not directly the base oil.

When I posted "oil" at that point I was speaking about the base..not the aggregate. sorry.
Not criticizing, been a long time since school

The telephone co fleet never got a oil change, just the filter with oil added. I always wondered about that.

Some of my cars see low hours, yet the oil/antifreeze get's changed at the end of the season for storage. I could be just pissing money away.

The OP asked a good question, I'm interested in what others think,,,TLW

·
Clevelands Rule.
1,671 Posts

Viscosity relates to the thickness of the oil, or it's "internal resistance to flow".
Viscosity is measured in centrestokes "cSt".
Some oils have no additives what so ever, but still have a measurable viscosity.
Shelf life of a new oil will depend on it's application/additive pack.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Oil tends to drain out of the bearings and cylinder walls in 30 days. If you are in a cold climate and take short trips water accumulates. You need to get the oil hot enough long enough to keep the water out. A vehicle in winter storage can be turned over without starting just to move oil back into the system and to change the position of the moving parts especially the springs and lifters. I have also poured oil down the carb. for storage.
Short trips also create moisture in the exhaust system which can cause premature replacement.

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Oil does not go bad sitting there. It has been in the ground for hundreds oy years. lol
Yessss...

I am currenly prospecting for a good spot to drill for synthetic oil....

LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
The short trips and not getting to operating temp is very hard on the engine. Drive it at temp for 20min or so every 3 weeks or change the oil. If it just sits the only real problem is the oil seals drying out and oil leaks. Its cheaper and best just to drive it every three weeks or so and be done with it. The oil is not the problem, its the seals and corrosion.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts