Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
What is the gold color MW uses on rear end parts? I want to paint my new Reid case to match my rear end.
More than likely the MW stuff is anodized gold.
All that rear end stuff is aluminum.
They MAY have a proprietary gold color that is their's exclusively.

Call them and ask.

A good automotive paint supplier can eye match that gold.

Your Pal, Gary

·
145 Posts
It's a gold chromate conversion coating. Commonly used in the aircraft industry.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's a gold chromate conversion coating. Commonly used in the aircraft industry.
I must had a brain fade. Not passivate. I just did some stainless parts that I had passivated.

The conversion coating works well for aluminum parts when they are gonna be painted also. I use chem film for a lot of military parts that I make and it gives very good corrosion protection, but scratches a little easier that anodizing. Problem with anodizing different parts using dissimilar grades of aluminum that are going to be assembled, the parts will come out different shades of the color, where the chem film will be more consistent in the gold color. This coating is not really needed for what we do, but it is just an extra step MW does to give us a better product, not just to make it look pretty.
Nice to know, your expensive rear end parts will look nice for a long time and won't get that dreaded aluminum corrosion over time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could have know that last week. I ended up spraying my new Reid case with high heat clear enamel. When I get my new modular rear I will strip the case and redo it then.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
I wish I could have know that last week. I ended up spraying my new Reid case with high heat clear enamel. When I get my new modular rear I will strip the case and redo it then.
Take your case that you just sprayed with ENAMEL,
and spray it with straight lacquer thinner,
that should take the clear off.

Your Pal, Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts