Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Monty it should have basically zero thrust end play. If its ball bearing it should have zero axial movement. Journal bearing is roughly .020" - .025" at the base of the compressor wheel closest to the bearing(bushing) this will obviously increase depending on how far out you are measuring on compressor shaft. If it touches down on the housing when you push in that direction I would definitely send it in. If there is thrust end play I would send it in also. If you still have doubts I would call Precision. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Monty Mikho

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Assuming journal

2 thou thrust play would have to be about the max you would ever see on a fresh thumper even id think

Fresh journal bearing GT55 I had come was right at one thou

Ball bearing should have zero , The bearings are preloaded

If they weren't you would h
ave the bearings skidding

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Have you run oil through it yet? Seems like the big girls tighten up a little with oil. They usually have a little more end play than your smaller stuff.

·
Administrator
136,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monty it should have basically zero thrust end play. If its ball bearing it should have zero axial movement. Journal bearing is roughly .020" - .025" at the base of the compressor wheel closest to the bearing(bushing) this will obviously increase depending on how far out you are measuring on compressor shaft. If it touches down on the housing when you push in that direction I would definitely send it in. If there is thrust end play I would send it in also. If you still have doubts I would call Precision. Hope this helps.
Thanks bud!! I appreciate it. It's a journal bearing turbo and has .008" of end play.

·
Administrator
136,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you run oil through it yet? Seems like the big girls tighten up a little with oil. They usually have a little more end play than your smaller stuff.
I just assembled it using oil. Checked it after and it had .008" end play. Compressor does not touch off on the housing so I think I am safe. I started the car today and the turbo still seems to be fine.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
That is a ton of trust clearance, I'd
make sure I keep an eye on it, shit that's more than an engine

·
Administrator
136,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the turbo back apart today and placed a shim I had in the box of parts I had from this 106 and also a 101 on the journal bearing. The took the .008 out and it has only a couple tenths of play now. Was not sure where that shim went honestly as it's been 12 years since I pulled them apart but I used my best guess. Time will tell if it lives or not.. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts