Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what is different in a nitrous or NA carb. Right now I don't have anything left in the budget to get a prosystems carb and I want to know if I can make any changes to a 8896(1050 dominator) to make it work better on my combo. 383 sbc I plan to spray 350-400hp. I will be shifting around 8000 and going thru thraps at 7600-7800.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
seems like alot of carb on a 383 whats the rest of the engine combo? im building a 388 and was told it will run the best with a 4150 carb

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a carbed 383 LT1 with a MSD crank trigger, brodix -10 heads, callies rotating ass, custom wisco nitrous pistons, 12-1cr, .040 quench, powerglide, 3.89 gears, 1050 dominator, brodix hv1002 intake, cam high 26x low 28x duration @ .050, .732 .730 lift, 112LSA +4 advanced.

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
I have a 1095 on my 407. Its what made the best power on the dyno. I never had a carb built for nitrous use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used a 896 1050 cfm on a 350 sbc worked good. Tested it with a 4150 850 because everyone told me the dom was to big. It slowed down with the 4150. I also used the big carb when spraying it still worked really well for an out of the box carb.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
a 383 at 8000 rpm with require about 960 cfm give or take up to 10 cfm. i havent actually picked my carb or intake for my 388 but i have seen a friends 406 slow down when he went from a 950 to a 1050 . on the dyno years ago a 377 made the best numbers with a tunnel ram and 2 1050s but on the track it was faster and lower et with a modified 850 that flowed around 940 cfm. and it wasnt faster due to the lack of tuning abilitys on the tunnel ram

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
I think you found your answer. I also hear Dale Cubic is a good guy for custom carbs. Some good working nitrous cars use his stuff.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you found your answer. I also hear Dale Cubic is a good guy for custom carbs. Some good working nitrous cars use his stuff.

I just don't have the time or money to have the carb sent out now and must shops won't help you much unless you spent a fair amount of money with them so I was hoping to find out what they changed. The last few years I was tuning with a laptop and I haven't touched a carb for a good 6-7 years. :rolleyes:

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
My advice is to use what you have. Tune it good on the motor then spray it. I don't know much about "nitrous carbs". But I can tell you some people I know who have competitive nitrous motors for class racing don't have them.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
18,065 Posts
So why did you go backwards??????

EFI doesn't care if you run 1550 or 2000 cfm throttle bodies. Can't put too big of one on there.

Dump the carb and go back to EFI..........

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
patrick james at pro systems is the only guy to talk to on this i had other places do my carb its a dominator and then sent to patrick and my car picked up 2 tenths on motor alone

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
talk to QUKLUV he runs a 383 with a dominator that he had modded for nitrous use by The Carb Shop in Cali he said it made a difference and they are roughly half the rpice of a ProSystem , nothin against them but when your on a budget you want to get the most bang for your buck , i was quoted around $800 to blueprint my dominator by ProSystem , so in the mean time i,m gonna spend half that at the Carb Shop and get a Pro System when i build a bigger badder bullet with several stages .

·
Registered
753 Posts
I want to know what is different in a nitrous or NA carb. Right now I don't have anything left in the budget to get a prosystems carb and I want to know if I can make any changes to a 8896(1050 dominator) to make it work better on my combo. 383 sbc I plan to spray 350-400hp. I will be shifting around 8000 and going thru thraps at 7600-7800.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

There is not a "Set" answer for your question since there are too many variables. Type of trans, converter, engine combo, amount of nitrous being used, how the carburetor is built, etc.

Depending on the variables we'll run carburetors the same on a N/A engine as we do a N2O engine, and then on others there are major Booster, and flow changes to get them to work optimally.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I just got one from pro systems last week, very resonable, the price seriously wasnt much more than buying a out of the box holley carb, I bought a NA 4150 for a 347, cost under 600 bucks. And a nitrous dominator carb was about 1000. Go look at the holley ultra hp series carbs and this price isnt too bad at all. The ONLY thing I had to touch on the carb was the idle screws about 1/4 of a turn!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts