Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very small project years ago and I remember trying to use everything I had and just could not get a clean cut. The project ended up turning out okay, but I have an idea to do something in carbon sheet and would like to revisit this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
You can use just about any tool made for cutting wood, to cut carbon fiber. Just install a very fine blade. My personal preference is a jig saw. I use a jig saw for all kinds of cuts. I use it with a fine tooth, metal cutting blade. The blades wear out pretty quickly, so depending on the length, design of your cut, your ability to cut it quickly, and the thickness of the material, make sure you have plenty of blades on hand.

As far as cutting technique goes, I will usually cut the carbon fiber about 1/8" away from where I want my final edge to be. Then I'll use either a random orbit sander, or a metal hand file to finish edging up to where the edge needs to be. I like 120-grit in the sander, but anything from 60-grit to 200-grit will work.

And don't forget before making your cut, to mask off BOTH SIDES of the cut. This will help make the cut with as little chipping or fraying of the edge as possible. Lastly, use your sander or hand file to put a small 45-degree bevel on both sides of the piece, to eliminate the sharpness of the edge.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is one method I did not try. I was having issues with it chipping and fraying as you said.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
And I forgot to mention, if you have a variable speed jig saw, use it at the highest speed possible, but move the blade through the cut slowly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.