Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everybody around here has a thread, I figured I would start one of my own. Why the hell not.

Why is it criminal to cheer for a turbo team? (You don't have to know the team, you don't have to be their friend, you just have to like what they do at racing - to be a cheerleader like me :)). It's almost like you have to ask permission from the blower guys especially to just celebrate the accomplishment of a turbo team. It's like they keep reminding you not to be happy because it was just one race, the blowers are old, the turbo car has nitrous, the turbo car has a lock-up, blah, blah, blah, BS, BS, BS. Who cares? Who cares if it last? I don't want to be reminded of their eminent demise next week or next month? I am contented with the here and now. Why deny me that? I usually don't get worked up over this crap, but gosh man it's too much now.

For years I have seen them maul, like hyenas, the one staunch supporter of turbochargers on yellowbullet, David Hance. A lot of us were so damn scared to even express our support and try help Hance fight off some of them because of how ferrocious the push-back was, and it made you question if what you even believed in was the right thing. They are hair dryers (the laughing stock of pro drag racing); they only came to life after the race was done; the track in Qatar was downhill or short so times ran there are not legit, they will never 60 foot, they will never 1/8th mile. I mean it was just downright crazy how hard people were on these things.

Therefore, it is even more laudable that people like Petty and others had the stomach and backbone to endure all the laughing, jeering and snickering and pursue a path that had no sure outcome. Blowers and nitrous were sure bets, they have been the hallmark of door-car racing forever. So can you imagine how hard it must have been for these turbo tuners to convince team owners to stick with them as they blew stuff up, tried every clutch, transmission and converter setup known to man, and then go to a race and not even qualify over and over and over and over?

You dont have to look too far in the promod section to find somebody cheering for how badazz Stevie Fast is or how incredible a performance Jason Scruggs had. And you won't see people saying Stevie was fast BUT it's just because he is lighter than the turbo car. Or Scruggs was was fast BUT it's just because he has more money in his program than the turbo car he beat. These guys are congratulated and lauded flat out based on their performances.

So why isn't Turky held to the same standard? It's like the turbo is the bastard step-child of door car racing. Is it that it poses a challenge to the business side of things as in blower or nitrous companies and therefore that's where the push-back is orchestrated? I don't know man. I just find it really weird how some people are reacting to this weekend's performance by the Q80 Team.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would not give it to much thought

as the old saying goes,you can't please everyone
Sounds like good advice. I'll take it. Thanks :).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Stevie fast is badazz because he pisses excellence. If you wanna explain to me why he's fast only because his car is light at rockingham, slide on by. You can explain to his wife and daughter that the countless hours he spent working himself in the ground was useless and the only reason he ran good was his car is light. Nothing to do with his over the top work ethic and his inability to accept anything but success.

Same goes for jason. He is not only a friend and icon in the racing community, but has been for decades. You will not find out a more humble and down to earth guy than jason. He and his father Mitchell are 100% top notch. He has withstood the test of time and keeps on coming up on top of the heap.

No disrespect to turkey. Car ran awesome (props to by buddy Petty- awesome job) but he has been on the scene for 12 minutes. You are upset because he doesn't have the followers jason or stevie do? Are you drunk? Did you bump your head?

·
Registered
235 Posts
What Billy said! You don't win fans overnight. I've known both Frankie and Jason since the early 90's. Neither were setting the world on fire. They both have worked their asses of for their success. That is why I am
a fan of them. If either one was running a turbo I'd still be rooting for them. I think it is crazy how far Turbo's have come in Pro Mod. But remember that the Screws made huge leaps to begin with and the gains slowed down. I think there will be parity pretty soon even in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
38,941 Posts
Simple. Blower cars are loud, raunchy, big n' bad....turbo cars are comparatively smooth, quiet, and 'nerdy' by comparison - at least in some people's minds. I watched the video of that 272mph pass, and it was more serene-appearing than my old SG Vega wagon. Gives the impression, to those not in the know, that anybody with enough money can own and drive a hair-dryer car....of course, that's not the case but it's the impression.

But a C-Rotor blowing through a set of zoomies...now, that's badass. Or at least, until one of those 'smoothies' puts a 5.46 on you. ;)

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I don't see any real push-back, OP. Seems to me the only people saying anything negative about turbos before AND after this weekend were just fans jaw-jacking each other in the spirit of competition. It's no different than me talking shit about my hometown football team and jaw-jacking about the opponent. No harm meant, and both sides do it back and forth. I dunno, maybe I just have rose-colored glasses on, but it seems like just a friendly rivalry to me. But I guess I'm just a fan of all heads-up racing, no matter what power-adder or no power adder at all.

And just like Billy Stocklin said, the guys who have been around the longest in the heads-up world are bound to have more supporters, just like blower cars being around longer having more supporters than turbo. Doesn't mean anything really, just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Stevie fast is badazz because he pisses excellence. If you wanna explain to me why he's fast only because his car is light at rockingham, slide on by. You can explain to his wife and daughter that the countless hours he spent working himself in the ground was useless and the only reason he ran good was his car is light. Nothing to do with his over the top work ethic and his inability to accept anything but success.

Same goes for jason. He is not only a friend and icon in the racing community, but has been for decades. You will not find out a more humble and down to earth guy than jason. He and his father Mitchell are 100% top notch. He has withstood the test of time and keeps on coming up on top of the heap.

No disrespect to turkey. Car ran awesome (props to by buddy Petty- awesome job) but he has been on the scene for 12 minutes. You are upset because he doesn't have the followers jason or stevie do? Are you drunk? Did you bump your head?
I am not upset, I am just trying to understand why people have to keep putting a BUT in the congratulations to Turky. So he has to be famous for 12 years and known by whom to qualify?

I used Stevie and Scruggs as examples, for no particular reason other than they are very prominent racers. I didn't want to flog Frankie's name any more because it felt like I was kicking a man when he was down. Now when you go bringing in wife and kids and father and your buddy Petty, all of whom you know and I don't know, then it just turns me off to speak any more about this because I know none of these people and I feel like why am here cheering for Turky when I don't even know him? I should only do like Billy Stocklin and cheer for people who I know their families and parents right? It's kinda like having a conversation on here with some guy and he makes a point to tell me his car runs 3.80 in the 1/8th, mine goes 4.80, so that tells me through telepathy that I really have no business arguing with him because his car is faster than mine.

You are passionate about your friends and their accomplishments and I have to respect you for that. At least you didn't come on here saying Turky won BUT it was only due to how much money they spent or the right lane being prepped better.

I am not on here to get any friend request from anybody. I am just a fan that is unhibited by any personal connection with any of these racers and giving the view as a layman sees it. Maybe thats explains your view, because you are all tied up in this.

·
D.J. RIBBY
25,529 Posts
I LOVE ALL FORMS OF PROMOD RACING...IF IT WASNT FOR STEVE PETTY BEING SUCH A GOOD FRIEND, I WOULD BE A SCREW BLOWER GUY...I LOVE THE SOUND AND THE RAW POWER THEY MAKE...I WANT TO SEE CLOSE RACING AND IT APPEARS THE TURBOS ARE MUCH CLOSER...THANKS TO PEOPLE LIKE PROLINE RACING ENGINES AND TOP NOTCH TUNERS ALL ACROSS THE STATES...
ITS AN EXCITING TIME TO BE A TURBOHUGGER!!!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Since everybody around here has a thread, I figured I would start one of my own. Why the hell not.

Why is it criminal to cheer for a turbo team? (You don't have to know the team, you don't have to be their friend, you just have to like what they do at racing - to be a cheerleader like me :)). It's almost like you have to ask permission from the blower guys especially to just celebrate the accomplishment of a turbo team. It's like they keep reminding you not to be happy because it was just one race, the blowers are old, the turbo car has nitrous, the turbo car has a lock-up, blah, blah, blah, BS, BS, BS. Who cares? Who cares if it last? I don't want to be reminded of their eminent demise next week or next month? I am contented with the here and now. Why deny me that? I usually don't get worked up over this crap, but gosh man it's too much now.

For years I have seen them maul, like hyenas, the one staunch supporter of turbochargers on yellowbullet, David Hance. A lot of us were so damn scared to even express our support and try help Hance fight off some of them because of how ferrocious the push-back was, and it made you question if what you even believed in was the right thing. They are hair dryers (the laughing stock of pro drag racing); they only came to life after the race was done; the track in Qatar was downhill or short so times ran there are not legit, they will never 60 foot, they will never 1/8th mile. I mean it was just downright crazy how hard people were on these things.

Therefore, it is even more laudable that people like Petty and others had the stomach and backbone to endure all the laughing, jeering and snickering and pursue a path that had no sure outcome. Blowers and nitrous were sure bets, they have been the hallmark of door-car racing forever. So can you imagine how hard it must have been for these turbo tuners to convince team owners to stick with them as they blew stuff up, tried every clutch, transmission and converter setup known to man, and then go to a race and not even qualify over and over and over and over?

You dont have to look too far in the promod section to find somebody cheering for how badazz Stevie Fast is or how incredible a performance Jason Scruggs had. And you won't see people saying Stevie was fast BUT it's just because he is lighter than the turbo car. Or Scruggs was was fast BUT it's just because he has more money in his program than the turbo car he beat. These guys are congratulated and lauded flat out based on their performances.

So why isn't Turky held to the same standard? It's like the turbo is the bastard step-child of door car racing. Is it that it poses a challenge to the business side of things as in blower or nitrous companies and therefore that's where the push-back is orchestrated? I don't know man. I just find it really weird how some people are reacting to this weekend's performance by the Q80 Team.

Maybe what you really want to ask is this

why cant everyone be happy for everyone ?

simple answer is everyone is different and thats what makes the world the way it is or else it would be boring right ?

think of it this way if the turbo guys paid attention to all the negatives- what happen a few days back would have never have gone down the way it did.

your thinking about this topic to much

its a win win for everyone -from who is no1 to sales to anything you want to think about really

all winners in my eyes

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe what you really want to ask is this

why cant everyone be happy for everyone ?

simple answer is everyone is different and thats what makes the world the way it is or else it would be boring right ?

think of it this way if the turbo guys paid attention to all the negatives- what happen a few days back would have never have gone down the way it did.

your thinking about this topic to much

its a win win for everyone -from who is no1 to sales to anything you want to think about really

all winners in my eyes
Yep, you are right again. Me the eternal optimist. But it's all good, I am always willing to learn :D.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Please hug & feed all Pro Turbo teams when you see them...:p
Usually all we can do is buy a T-shirt, cheer from the sidelines and wish you guys the best. But food and hugs wouldn't be too far a stretch.

I have always planned my trips to America to see one turbo car or another; from John Gullet's blue hatch-back to Chuck Samuels in the red turbo notch to Steve Grebeck with that fateful car (may he rest in peace). At that time Precision turbo's display was a folding table with the turbos on it and a banner above, LOL ( I would suspect they probably have full fancy display haulers by now :D). Now I am seriously itching to see this Q80 car in person. Who knows.

But all the best to you David, especially when you get back a turbo car :D.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
turbo are badass no dout, but when u have two power adder and barley beat a single adder. u really cant fluff your feathers to much. stevie is a fan favorit, he talks with the kids and makes them feel like family, jason ben a bad dude for a long time. turkey was unknown till this weekend. give it time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
turbo are badass no dout, but when u have two power adder and barley beat a single adder. u really cant fluff your feathers to much. stevie is a fan favorit, he talks with the kids and makes them feel like family, jason ben a bad dude for a long time. turkey was unknown till this weekend. give it time.
Haha exactly. This will upset some turbo boys...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a turbo is a TWIN turbo
a screw is a TWIN screw
but a (pro) nitrous is FOUR stages !!!

:)
Exactly right. Shows you how little some of these screw- and bottle-huggers on here know :p.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
And for the last time, this really can't be so hard to understand, Stevie and Jason were just used as examples to make a point. They are great guys I am sure who I actually enjoy watching race. I figured one was thick-skinned enough to not care if his name was used in an example and the other is the reason for PDRA (the best thing to hit door car racing in recent times) so he has to be a good guy. That's all it was, absolutely nothing personal. Stocklin was the one who got into the wife and kids and father in a whole tirade of emotion, rather than just counter what I was saying instead of bring up families and personal friendships and such. I don't like bringing up families when we are on here pushing and shoving one another as grown men.

But no harm no foul, we are all humans and stuff happens. I don't hold anything against anybody. This topic can end now.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts