Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading an article about the 1995 Cobra R Mustangs.

The article mentioned about how John Coletti had all 250 of the '95 Cobra R cars assembled at the same time on the same shift using the Mustang assembly line.

I think the article said he planned it to happen when the plant manager was on vacation.
They lined up 250 of the 351W engines and trans, 250 rear ends and 250 white Mustang bodies and ran them all down the line for assembly and pulled it off in one shift.
Then loaded them back on train cars to go back to SVT for the final assembly items.

What if.....25 years later Ford repeats history with:

* 250 White base model 2020 Mustang bodies with the base cloth black interiors

* 250 GT350 engines and transmissions

* 250 GT500 rear axle assemblies

* All 250 have sequential VINs

The GT500 rear should handle the power no problem. If they could build 125 of the 10 spd auto transmissions with beefed up internals that would be great. Half manual cars and half automatics.

Since Ford already makes road racing model Mustangs, this special edition would be targeted at the drag racing customers like the Challenger 1320 is.

Internal code name: " Hindsight Edition "

Well, because it's a 20/20 :-D

·
Registered
463 Posts
You do know the GT 500 has a 7 speed Dual wet clutch trans made by Tremec. Dual clutch no clutch pedal and paddle shifters like the new C8. Same price too.

·
Registered
17,808 Posts

The article mentioned about how John Coletti had all 250 of the '95 Cobra R cars assembled at the same time on the same shift using the Mustang assembly line.

I think the article said he planned it to happen when the plant manager was on vacation.
They lined up 250 of the 351W engines and trans, 250 rear ends and 250 white Mustang bodies and ran them all down the line for assembly and pulled it off in one shift.
Then loaded them back on train cars to go back to SVT for the final assembly items.

The GT500 rear should handle the power no problem. If they could build 125 of the 10 spd auto transmissions with beefed up internals that would be great. Half manual cars and half automatics.

Since Ford already makes road racing model Mustangs, this special edition would be targeted at the drag racing customers like the Challenger 1320 is.

CobraJet edition?

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Colletti was the best SVT HNIC ever.
Since I own a Gen I LIGHTNING I searched to catch the deal on said 1995 COBRA R's. I was under the impression the 93-95 LIGHTNING's tubular intake was from a COBRA R, but that cast COBRA intake (picture link below) is not what came on said LIGHTNINGs. Am I correct to believe the 93-95 LIGHTNING's tubular intake came from an earlier COBRA R perhaps a 92-93?:

The 351 V-8 from the F150 Lightning sport truck forms the basis for the R powerplant. It has the same 4.0-inch bore of the Mustang-orthodox 302, but its stroke stretches from 3.0 up to 3.5 inches. The Lightning's ratings of 240 hp at 4200 rpm and 340 pound-feet of torque at 3200 climb to the R's 300 hp at 4800 and 365 pound-feet at 3750. The increases are achieved via higher compression (9.2:1 versus 8.8), more aggressive cam timing, and a larger-diameter air-meter body. Cooling-system capacity is increased in anticipation of the racetrack duty cycle.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142591/1995-ford-mustang-svt-cobra-r-review/

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Since we're dreaming, I'd prefer the Godzilla engine over the Voodoo.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
If they do, there will be 25 different threads about it on YB.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Am I correct to believe the 93-95 LIGHTNING's tubular intake came from an earlier COBRA R perhaps a 92-93?

No, the L's tubular intake was made specifically for it. Later on, there were clones made by other companies.

Try to find an original Lightning intake. You're gonna part with a wad of cash. I was looking at one for my Mustang. Ended up staying with a 5.0 based bottom end, and a ported Cobra intake (for now)...

The tube intakes can't take very much work, simply due to the construction. But they sure look good..

·
Banned
14,510 Posts

They did this in 2000 or so, it was just more Fprd faggotry.

2003 Cobra is the only Ford worth owning. Fuck your 427 Galaxie.

·
15,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since we're dreaming, I'd prefer the Godzilla engine over the Voodoo.
That would be nice but the EPA certification for that engine in the S550 chassis would take too long for the 2020 Model year.

All the items I listed in post 1 are already EPA certified for the Mustang :)

·
15,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was the lightening intake a GT-40 upper? Fitment I'm guessing?
Lightning was a GT-40 tubular intake straight from the Ford SVO Racing catalog.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Before they made the 1995 Cobra Rs they had three 1994 Cobra test mules that Roush was putting all the R parts on to test them out. They had 351W engines, tremecs, the R oil cooler, brake ducts, no fog lights, a Cobra R hood, an engine computer marked "Experimental" etc. I know this because I own one of these cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been saying something similar for years, why not make a special order "R" option that gets you the basic white body, best chassis, engine, trans, brakes they offer for this particular sporty coupe that is otherwise completely gutted if it's not required to be road legal it's gone.
THEN SELL THEM FOR A REDUCED PRICE like buying an bare bones cab-chassis truck or van, you can easily choose the most basic bare bones options list with the best engine, trans, axles, brakes.
If they were to do something like that for the Pony cars and hell even competing imports, I don't think they could make enough of them

Instead they give us incredible performance potential while they keep all the gadgets and geegaws and will even add several more for the "special editions" and then tack on a nice price premium and low production numbers to make sure they get that price premium. That's my 2 cents anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts