Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
425" probably 11.5:1 5500 stall 3.73 probably change to 4.10 or 4.30 28" tire probably spin 74-7600 heads are 2.15 valve 240's reworked by TEA 250-255? Car is kind of heavy guessing 3300 pump gas

·
Registered
728 Posts
Don't know the part # off the top of my head, but I'm running 2" primary Hooker Super Comps. I did have to change over to a different starter and do some slight grinding on the JW powerglide bell housing. I called Kooks for a starter recommendation since no one at Hooker had a clue and Kooks said they recommend a Powermaster 9503 on all SBF. It's offset in 3/4" and 360* clockable. And, it was exactly the same price as the Summit brand at $210. It works very well too. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't buy the heads new I don't even have them here yet they are in transit fedex but they started as 240's now they are bigger and have 52cc chamber I'm told TEA did them

I think the hooker number is 6228 2" primary 3.5 collector do they fit good?

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
TEA subs ported intake manifolds out to Mike Curcio at MCRP... I don't think they do their own hand work anymore. He might be doing some of their custom head work as well. He's not afraid to get in there and make things happen! Good Guy!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the 6228's on my 408 but with AFR 225's. Exhaust ports are raised only 3/8", I think the High Ports are 3/4". Also I had to make custom adapter plates. They hang a bit low for my liking but work OK. I made custom motor mounts which lower the motor 7/16" too. Maybe with the high ports they wont be as low. I'm running a Ford mini starter out of a Crown Vic and have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
425" probably 11.5:1 5500 stall 3.73 probably change to 4.10 or 4.30 28" tire probably spin 74-7600 heads are 2.15 valve 240's reworked by TEA 250-255? Car is kind of heavy guessing 3300 pump gas
I hope this is a 3 speed. that's a lot of weight to move out of the gate. I also hope its an aftermarket block. those heads wont work on a bore smaller than 4.125

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Off the shelf big tube headers are a crap shoot, in my experience 99 percent of the time they need to be modified. You might be better to just get a set custom made for your car.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the heads they are not from TEA (warning buying used parts online)

I took some measurements 2.1375 valve and about 2.75 at the pinch after radius maybe 2.80

I get confused why this head would be any different than an AFR 205 on 4.030 bore?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Off the shelf big tube headers are a crap shoot, in my experience 99 percent of the time they need to be modified. You might be better to just get a set custom made for your car.
x2

had Mark Brands build this set on my buddies HP headed 408 I did last summer. Best bang for the buck, $2000 out the door with Jet hot. None of the cookie cutter bolt on (Kooks, hooker and all the rest) compare. Spend the money once and be happy from the start.

·
Registered
359 Posts
x2

had Mark Brands build this set on my buddies HP headed 408 I did last summer. Best bang for the buck, $2000 out the door with Jet hot. None of the cookie cutter bolt on (Kooks, hooker and all the rest) compare. Spend the money once and be happy from the start.

$2000 coated and out the door is a great deal

I have Hooker 6228's on mine but I don't have high ports. They hang very low so if you used drop mounts and worked with it a little, they might work

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
$2000 coated and out the door is a great deal

I have Hooker 6228's on mine but I don't have high ports. They hang very low so if you used drop mounts and worked with it a little, they might work
Thats what I said, They are a work of art, took him a couple of weeks to build them on the car and have them coated.

Worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I run the Hooker 6228's on mine, and they do hang a little low but they fit great.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have a set of 8.2 deck kooks headers on my 9.5 deck motor that i paid $300 for used. They are 1 7/8" tubes with 3.5" collectors. My logic was that most big tube headers hang so low, that trying a set of short deck headers on a tall deck motor might work. The ground clearance on them is about as good as its going to get without a custom set of headers. The passenger side header fit perfect without any modifications, it was pretty close to the clutch cable but an insulator on the cable solved that issue. The passenger side needed some hammer work next to the inner fender/frame rail area, but they fit around a stock starter. This is with a 8660 mcleod bell housing which is one of the bigger bell housings for a SBF.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts