Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The first thing you need to do is figure out what valve pocket locations, diameters, and depths you have in your current pistons before you go buying cylinder heads that won’t work with them.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Had some Profiler 14 degree SBC heads that needed evaluation for upgrade and check flow. Called Profiler and asked if they could do it. They referred us to Chad. He checked them out and told us what was wrong and recommended not fixing them for this application. He sent them back with a new valve job and some minor clean up, no charge. We sold them and the new owner liked them. Had Chad do a new set and ported the intake and he recommended a cam change. Worked out good.

But it did take some time. Next time if he does not have a set ready to go, I might pass.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Why is this turning into a bash session?
Guy has a goal and needs advise on a good engine combo to achieve that goal.

·
Registered
748 Posts
WE did a 429 just a year ago.AFR220 Comp Pkg.14.4 CR.Motown manifold with select porting.JE shelf piston.Jesel Sportsman shaft 1.6-1.6.Dyno at 741HP with Q16 and 722HP on C14 different carbs.In 3300# Firebird ran first pass 9.51 at 141mph.Then set up on EZPlate for 10.0.Car was 2019 Super Pro points champ at ID and Winner of The Race Of Champions at NHRA Div One Bracket Finals.Engine made peak power at 6700RPMs
I didn't think the 220 would support that much power. Have you ever used the AFR 235 or 245?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I didn't think the 220 would support that much power. Have you ever used the AFR 235 or 245?
have made 752HP with 235 and 4150 carb.690HP with 235 at 10.6 CR. 832HP with 245s OTB.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Any 23* head you put on that size short block isn’t going to be enough.
Once you know what you have for valve pockets pick the largest intake valve/CSA head & rocker combo that will fit your valve pockets and budget.
Cam largely, converter loosely, and rev highly.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I have customers that have made 700-730hp with my 227cc port on 385-406. Have customers that have made 750-780hp with my 250cc port on 421-434. Have customers that have made 830-890hp with my 265cc port on 434-454. Have customers that made 700-800hp on 365-380 with my 265cc port.

Want ET's have those as well.

I've built 4 engines for myself over the years and all I have ever used is a shelf Mahle piston.

And YOU CAN put too big of head on it. And YOU CAN make power with the right small CSA head.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
They will. Have Dart 220 on my sbc. Engine made 687hp @ 62 or 6400 (don't remember which)before I got it on the dyno with a .650ish lift ca. It's around 750hp now.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
They will. Have Dart 220 on my sbc. Engine made 687hp @ 62 or 6400 (don't remember which)before I got it on the dyno with a .650ish lift ca. It's around 750hp now.
GTA what type of rocker arms are you using on the Dart 220 heads?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Not going to bash him, just really bad experience dealing with him. Wont ever happen again. Slow is an understatement. Sending the heads to a very reputable shop to get fixed.
My customer had him do a set of heads they were sent to me as the customer did not feel he could set the shaft rockers up, So when I got the heads you could push your finger through the intake runners ( PAPER THIN ) Customer had to fight with him to take them back and I posted that on F/B and Chad blew a gasket, The second set of heads were not good sent them to Tom @ 3V performance he fixed the heads and intake dynoed the engine and made some good numbers on the dyno. Problem with Chad is he farms his CNC work out and when you loose control of your product sometimes this is what happens. And it was months to get the second set of heads that were no good.

Check with Tom @ 3V Performance he will set you up with what you need and all his work is done in house. He has a very good record and a great shop.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Got any ETs for the 830-890hp 265cc builds?
I have several tractor pullers as well.

[email protected] 1/8 mile
[email protected] 1/4 mile
My customer had him do a set of heads they were sent to me as the customer did not feel he could set the shaft rockers up, So when I got the heads you could push your finger through the intake runners ( PAPER THIN ) Customer had to fight with him to take them back and I posted that on F/B and Chad blew a gasket, The second set of heads were not good sent them to Tom @ 3V performance he fixed the heads and intake dynoed the engine and made some good numbers on the dyno. Problem with Chad is he farms his CNC work out and when you loose control of your product sometimes this is what happens. And it was months to get the second set of heads that were no good.

Check with Tom @ 3V Performance he will set you up with what you need and all his work is done in house. He has a very good record and a great shop.

LMAO. That's been 10 years ago now. You're still talking about it.

Just think if every engine builder had the equipment to do blocks, they wouldn't be sending them to guys like Carl.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I went 10.16 @ 132 weighing 3400#s in a 69 Nova with a pump gas 93 434 sbc with afr 235 out the box and Harland sharp 1.6 rockers, cam was 264-272 624 648 on a 109 lobe sep. 4.11 gears 4000 ptc 10inch nitrous coverter 28 in tall tire. I was foot braking and this was first time out. Car had more in it. So a 235 head is good for high 9s all day and you don’t need a shaft mount setup.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts