Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Looking for a proven head that is gonna hit our goals. I haven't heard of Chad Spier (no disrespect). Will his heads get it done? Wallace says we need 685'ish to the crank to get into the 9's on motor.

The car is back halfed and hooks hard. More worried about wheelies than traction.

Already has Holly Dominator EFI and a 1000cfm throttle body, crank trigger, Switching to LS Coils on plug, etc.
The AFR heads as well as Chad's heads will get it done.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
The piston don't have a job number on them - just a casting number. How do we figure out what they are? And what would we need to know?

They started life is a 4.125 bore piston (which measure about 4.120) and .927 pin which is into the oil ring land and use support rails. From memory they have 622R & 622L cast into the bottom.
Those numbers are probably the forging numbers, and they may well have been used for several different part numbers with different machining (pin heights, dome volumes, ring grooves, etc.). You're going to have to put the piston down in the hole a known distance and then cc the cylinder like you would do a combustion chamber. Calculate the theoretical volume based on the bore and the distance in the hole, subtract the volume you measure, and that's your dome volume.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Chad Speier heads are definitely going to get the job done. He does amazing work and if you call him he will sell you what you need and what's proven to work and not whatever just to make a sale. I have several buddies who have bought from Chad and have had him do work on other heads. Great product. 2k budget or 20k budget I'd still go to Chad. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
After that I'd get with one of the cam guys on here like CamKing or one of the others in the Valvetrain section and they can set you up with the CORRECT cam for your combo that will run the number and not just a shelf/bottom of the page cam.

·
Registered
27,190 Posts
I appreciate the feedback.

We would be ok with an 8000rpm shift +/- a few hundred if there is power up there.

The car has a TH400 and 5000 stall behind his old 406 (AFR 210's - 10:1 pump gas and .600 lift cam). The new 414 combo came with a glide (turbo splined) and a PTC 4500 (on motor) converter. Plan was to use one of these converters behind the TH400 and sell the glide.

The piston don't have a job number on them - just a casting number. How do we figure out what they are? And what would we need to know?

They started life is a 4.125 bore piston (which measure about 4.120) and .927 pin which is into the oil ring land and use support rails. From memory they have 622R & 622L cast into the bottom.
Just explain that you have 23 degree pistons, and need standard valve spacing. It’ll make life simpler. Chad, AFR, Brodix, Dart, or RHS can answer all your questions, and get you where you want to be. Lots of CNC programs out there for reasonable, and some very nice shaft mount stuff from about 6 different companies to compare from. Also, get the proper intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Afr spread port out of the box with t& d shafts.418 13.5 to 1 nitrous cam made 650 on bes dyno put a vacuum pump and picked up another 25. 10.08 at 130 mph at 2950 lb and not fully tuned,need more fuel up top.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Peep his results with the v2.50 and 2.70. The 2.50 is a 227 cc head and had made over 700 on a 406. The 2.70 is a 245 head which made almost 800 on a 427-434

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
WE did a 429 just a year ago.AFR220 Comp Pkg.14.4 CR.Motown manifold with select porting.JE shelf piston.Jesel Sportsman shaft 1.6-1.6.Dyno at 741HP with Q16 and 722HP on C14 different carbs.In 3300# Firebird ran first pass 9.51 at 141mph.Then set up on EZPlate for 10.0.Car was 2019 Super Pro points champ at ID and Winner of The Race Of Champions at NHRA Div One Bracket Finals.Engine made peak power at 6700RPMs

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,745 Posts
WE did a 429 just a year ago.AFR220 Comp Pkg.14.4 CR.Motown manifold with select porting.JE shelf piston.Jesel Sportsman shaft 1.6-1.6.Dyno at 741HP with Q16 and 722HP on C14 different carbs.In 3300# Firebird ran first pass 9.51 at 141mph.Then set up on EZPlate for 10.0.Car was 2019 Super Pro points champ at ID and Winner of The Race Of Champions at NHRA Div One Bracket Finals.Engine made peak power at 6700RPMs
You forgot to mention the 4150 carb! :)
And OP, while the Holley EFI is great, if you really want to get into the 9's, you will need a larger TB. I run a 1000 cfm on our 383 and the engine pulls some vacuum only going 10.6s @ 3500lbs. My car goes 9.4s @ 3200 with a 1550cfm TB, I pull a tad bit of vacuum. My 2000cfm TB went quicker and faster, but the linkage was starting to bind from thousands of passes so I got a nice 1550 from Kinsler years ago, there wasn't a lot available 10 years ago, now there is. Get a staggered 2000cfm unit, you do not want all four blades moving at the same time!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wonder how many that recommend Chad have actually dealt with him? Terrible experience for me.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Wonder how many that recommend Chad have actually dealt with him? Terrible experience for me.
Never a problem with me. Even fixed a set of guides for free from my screw up on geometry. I admit he takes awhile but hes a one man shop with alot of demand

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I appreciate the feedback.

We would be ok with an 8000rpm shift +/- a few hundred if there is power up there.
For this, you would DEFINITELY benefit from heads that have had the intake ports moved. AFR's larger offerings do this. They DO require shaft rockers. Without spreading the intake ports, the minimum cross sectional area is too small for turning that many cubes 8k rpm. Lots to be gained with the widened ports.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
For this, you would DEFINITELY benefit from heads that have had the intake ports moved. AFR's larger offerings do this. They DO require shaft rockers. Without spreading the intake ports, the minimum cross sectional area is too small for turning that many cubes 8k rpm. Lots to be gained with the widened ports.
But i think he wants to use the pistons he has- which I believe are standard valve location.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
But i think he wants to use the pistons he has- which I believe are standard valve location.
Would look into notching them. I've done it many times... even with a die grinder. Back in the day, a lot of pistons in the TRW era were notched for stock size valves, and needed opened up. Study how much material needs removed, and if the real estate is there to do it. I wouldn't THINK it should be an issue. They also make cutters that fit down through the valve guide for this purpose.

If I were spending that kind of money, there is NO WAY I would burn it on a compromised cylinder head... when something much better is available.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not going to bash him, just really bad experience dealing with him. Wont ever happen again. Slow is an understatement. Sending the heads to a very reputable shop to get fixed.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts