Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

So we live in a city of 1.5million people, we have had a few differant racetracks for 40+ years around the city, and now politics has come into play and they have decided to close the track at the end of this year to make room for a run off lake from a garbage dump.

There are 2 other "major" tracks in the province, 1 being 3 hours away and the other 5 hours.

We all are pretty upset to say the least and I see racecars already popping up for sale.

But my question is there are no end of 9.0-11 second cars that are street driven to and from the track, and majoirty of us used to and still do street race but over the last 2 years is been all about the track, not much street stuff anymore.

I know alot of you live in citys that dont have or used to have tracks, what happened when they shut them down?

Did the cops come down full force on street racing?

Did everyone just sell their cars and go golfing?

Or did the street scene explode?

Thanks for your input, trying to judge what Im going to do with my car.

Dave

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm in Jacksonville. We had Jax Raceways,lost it in 2005 to developers (who couldn't develop on the property due to it being so contaminated,still sits empty to this day). Gainesville is a good hour and ten minute drive,valdosta is 2 1/2 hrs almost.

The street scene is alive down here,the ricers have their spots,us hot rod/domestic guys keep our spots/racing a little more on the DL,we're no ok/tx guys but it's not uncommon to see 8-10 seconds cars out on the streets on a Saturday night.

Of course we have our run ins with the cops from time to time,but they just make us leave. Our spots are usually back road area's,and the cops would never notice we we're there other then the noise some of the cars make.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats like us, always backroads at 2am sunday morning stuff, but closest track 3 hours away eliminates any chance of alot of these street guys going, maybe once in a while, but thats a long haul with truck, trailer, food, hotel if you stay the night, not gonna do that every weekend!

Just curious weather its gonna be a non issue or cops come rollin in hard

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Fresno (Raisin City) Dragway closed down in 1974 and no racetrack has replaced it for a population area of 1 million, also which as a very active car culture.

Famoso Raceway is the closest track at 100 miles away. Further for some, closer for others. You simply learn to live with it

·
Registered
26,493 Posts
Ct. closed it's only track, but Rt.25 is a nice substitute when we don't feel like towing 2.5-4.5 hours (one way), then deal with bullshit NY traffic and tolls if we go to ATCO, or E-Town.

Fuck Connecticut.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When Hallsville shut down I had to really think about building a dedicated "drag strip only" car.The nearest track is,at least , 2 hours from where I live.Makes you wonder if you really want to build a badass race car?The expense of building,maintaining,travel,and racing can be really pricey.Developers,poor manager/track owners,etc.etc.,is really killing the sport of drag racing.I have friends that still race but their cars only race every now and then.The added expense of gas and travel time/distance is just too much of a burden for the average working man to afford.Hell just to go and "see" a good event can be pricey.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
Fresno (Raisin City) Dragway closed down in 1974 and no racetrack has replaced it for a population area of 1 million, also which as a very active car culture.

Famoso Raceway is the closest track at 100 miles away. Further for some, closer for others. You simply learn to live with it
I used to live in Pismo Beach and drove my car to race at Famoso. As you know, that is not close at all plus there is a big grade to go over. No trailer, yet somehow I always made it home!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
The only fix for tracks closing is to get off YOUR ASS and go this weekend.
But most of you will just complain later.
I guess it is easier to make excuses than making passes.

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
Where do all the racers on long island go?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts