Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The T/S T/D vs. Comp thread in TOBT got me thinking about this. We used to race these quite a bit in both T/D and T/S, especially in IHRA. Those type of races have seemed to die out. I moved from Michigan to Texas a little over 6 years ago, and there isn't much of anything that I can find down this way for those cars other than competing at NHRA points races. I know the 275 and fast small tire racing is it right now, but we always had full fields and it was good racing... What happened to this type of racing down here to make it die off?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
We have a quick 32 series here.16 door/16 dragsters. king of the hill at the end. Good series,have to separate the cars from dragsters until the end or it's a dragster show.Gets real expensive real fast though.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
We've been consistently running a Quick 8 series at our local track for years now. Has consistently been a great show for the racers and spectators and we consistently get interest in cars wanting to get in. All door cars and after qualifying, we run it as a bracket race.

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see em trying to run something like that at HMP, but RPR has the facility to do this easily, and they don't run anything close to that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Around here we still have a quick 8 Series, 8 Door cars, 8 Dragsters. But its on its way out. Who wants to have a $100,000.00 race car and run for $1000.00? I know its only three rounds but still. I think if the purses payed $3K and up there would be more interest. Kilkare had one a few years ago where the bump for dragsters was 4.2x and door cars was 4.4x. The last one was 4.9x for each class at edgewater

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thompson Raceway Park in Ohio holds a badass Q8 called Asphalt Wars for door cars and a open body class as well. Bump for door cars is usually around 4.40 and open body is around 4.15-4.20. Def the best Q8 series ive ever watched. Always big fields too

·
Registered
106 Posts
We were just discussing this the other day. I used to run a quick 8 at my local track when not running the nostalgia stuff but they don't have anything like this anymore. Not a lot of dragster stuff around my parts if you are not doing nostalgia.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Organize your own series and approach the track to let you run. Our track doesn't run it, we organize it ourselves, get sponsors and work with the track to let us run it there. It's a win win. They get more spectators and fast cars.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One of my local tracks has 2 different "quick" classes...

1) Quick 16 is a doorslammer only class with a max dial of 8.99 (1/4)
2) Super 16 is quickest qualifiers doorslammer or dragsters but not 8 doorslammers vs 8 dragsters

Each is $1k/win & pays back to the semis...$100 entry

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Organize your own series and approach the track to let you run. Our track doesn't run it, we organize it ourselves, get sponsors and work with the track to let us run it there. It's a win win. They get more spectators and fast cars.
That's kinda what I'm thinking about.. I just don't really know if there would be enough interested racers in this area. I haven't seen many dragster racers around here.. it is more door cars. I'd like to get back into T/D racing.. it's just about a 4 hour minimum drive to race anywhere now.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Our organization is called the Rocky Mountain Door Slammers. It has evolved over the past 8 years or so and we keep tweaking it to keep our racers happy. We have a few small sponsors so payout structure is based on how much money you can raise. Here's how ours works:

4 race series door cars only.
RMDS annual membership. $50/race max two races (Basically $100 membership but we get a lot of guys trying once)
Race entry fee $25 at the gate goes to the track. $50 to enter.
Top 8 cars qualify. Any non qualifiers are eligible to get into the Tracks Electronics/Box class.

Usually the number 1 qualifier gets $100 bonus check and trophy.
First round loss pays back the $50 entry fee
Semi's pays $100
R/U pays $200
Win pays $300.

Our payout is better than the other classes the track has going.

We only are able to collect about $1,500 in sponsor money during a season so our payout is pretty good really. We payout 100% of what we collect in membership, entry fees and sponsor money. If we can collect more money, we would increase the payout.

·
King of all Assclowns
11,345 Posts
That's kinda what I'm thinking about.. I just don't really know if there would be enough interested racers in this area. I haven't seen many dragster racers around here.. it is more door cars. I'd like to get back into T/D racing.. it's just about a 4 hour minimum drive to race anywhere now.
There's plenty of dragster that run up at Royal Purple in Baytown.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I may be interested in starting a small series for this... looking for payout structure that some of you have.
At Cordova Dragway both Quick 16 & Super 16 are $1k to win, $400 to runner up & $100 for semis. These are pro-rated if less than a full field. $100 entry

There is a $350/$150 points fund for quick and $750/$350 points fund for super

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
We run every month at edgewater,granted it only pay's 1000 to win,but it's better than leaving the car sit in the shop
We've been to kil kare,london and clay city within the last year,but the races seem far a few between this year
We just ran pro top outlaw last weekend at kil kare,they had a fairly good showing of dragsters,it paid 4000 to win,we went out 1st round and got 450
11 dragsters ranging from 3.70 to 4.75
I've been watching the pdra for a little while,it seems like they have had some nice showings so far

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The PDRA thing is awesome. I plan going to as many as possible next year.[e/QUOTWE]
We plan to try and run a few pdera events next year
We just got our new engine combo running this past weekend,so we have some tuning to do still,but so far it looks real promising
3.98 3rd run down the track,with alot left in the car:)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just to be clear....... True Quick 8 = HEADS UP! They later became what we know as ProMod. So are you talking about true Quick 8/16 or do you just mean another fast Bracket class? Basically a 8 or 16 car T/D & T/S race????

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
8 Quick... Fastest qualified cars heads up like IHRA used to do with TS and TD. Top 8 qualifiers run off heads up for an extra pot. PDRA is doing something like it with 4 cars I believe. The only PDRA race close enough to me is Tulsa I believe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts