Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to shed some weight and keep the car off the bumper.

Car is 90 LS swapped Notch now with 2 stage plate kit. Makes 1100 rwhp on both. Race weight is 3215 lbs.

What do I need in a Glide to make it work reliably with this set up? I want a 1.80 first gear. I'm looking to buy a used one used unless a new one with what I need is not too bad. What should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
431 Posts
The going ticket is a turbo 400. If not most are running the 1.69 power glides due to less rpm drops on shift. I have a trans specalties 2500 with a 1.80 and i use to make around 1k last year. Depend on how much you want to spend. A good one with a good case is going to knock you in the head for at least 3500 or more.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Get the good case!

3,500 is what mine cost with the 1.80 gear set and other good parts. Well worth the money. Dealing with shields sucks and makes mantenance harder. Plus you mustang guys don't have a lot of room I hear for trans shields.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was also considering a turbo glide aka 2 speed 400 but they cost the same and there is no clear answer to how much power is required to utilize such a tall first gear. Currently I am running a 4l80 trans which is the same as the 400 and I have gotten a best of a 1.16 60 with an average of 1.22 off the foot brake. I leave on a 250 hit and USUALLY dont have traction issues but wheelies are a big problem. I have moved weight and played with the suspension A LOT. I'm just ready to move on from this heavy trans. I just don't want to have to spray 400 out the hole to get back to the same 60 I run now. I just feel like that big a hit all at once is much harder on the engine and I'm poor and need this thing to last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts