Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Head Phuckstick
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the local gun shop to pick up some odds and ends. I asked the guy if he had any brass case 55gr .223 fmj for I was need some target rounds.

Some how we got on the subject of steel cased shells. By the time I walked out of the store this guy was telling me that steel cased shells will tare up a gun?

WTF? This is the first time I've heard of this how about you guys?

Reason I ask you guys is because I have a stash of steel case 55gr .223 that I have not had the chance to use.

Shannon

·
Gremlin Hunter
5,160 Posts
Some manufacturers (CMMG) will void warranties on their rifles if the steal cased ammo is used. I shoot Wolf steel cased ammo in my chrome bore rifles, and chromoly barrels. I don't shoot it in my stainless barreled rifles. I think the quality of Wolf and Tula has come up in the past. The cartridges are coated with a polymer. I only shoot the Wolf stuff when I want to plink, or let the kids shoot. You won't get super tight groups with Wolf, but it doesn't shoot too bad up to 200 yds. I have nothing bad to say about Wolf. I have over 1000 rounds of Wolf through one of my rifles, and isn't hurt at all.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I just went to the local gun shop to pick up some odds and ends. I asked the guy if he had any brass case 55gr .223 fmj for I was need some target rounds.

Some how we got on the subject of steel cased shells. By the time I walked out of the store this guy was telling me that steel cased shells will tare up a gun?

WTF? This is the first time I've heard of this how about you guys?

Reason I ask you guys is because I have a stash of steel case 55gr .223 that I have not had the chance to use.

Shannon
sure will
gary

·
Head Phuckstick
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some manufacturers (CMMG) will void warranties on their rifles if the steal cased ammo is used. I shoot Wolf steel cased ammo in my chrome bore rifles, and chromoly barrels. I don't shoot it in my stainless barreled rifles. I think the quality of Wolf and Tula has come up in the past. The cartridges are coated with a polymer. I only shoot the Wolf stuff when I want to plink, or let the kids shoot. You won't get super tight groups with Wolf, but it doesn't shoot too bad up to 200 yds. I have nothing bad to say about Wolf. I have over 1000 rounds of Wolf through one of my rifles, and isn't hurt at all.
Wolf is what I got (bought it cheap). But never used it before and was like "this is the first I had heard this".

Its a chrome lined barrel on what I was going to run this trough.

Shanonn

·
Gremlin Hunter
5,160 Posts
Wolf is what I got (bought it cheap). But never used it before and was like "this is the first I had heard this".

Its a chrome lined barrel on what I was going to run this trough.

Shanonn
It shouldn't hurt it then. Just be sure to clean it really good after. Wolf tends to run a little dirty.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
My Bubby shoot's Russian steel cased shells that are marked corrosive primers and he bought them cheap in bulk and clean's his guns right after shooting them so everything is fine.

pdq67

·
Head Phuckstick
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys thanks for the info.

I didn't think I would have a problem with it. I don't frequent this place much and didn't know if this guy was try'n to stick me on some B.S.

Shannon

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have shot several thousand rounds of it. The biggest thing it "tears up" in an AR is the extractor though I have never had an issue. Usually the problem lies in high rates of fire over extended periods which causes the chamber to get hot and melt the coating on the steel case. The coating gums up the chamber and causes the cases to stick in it. This makes the spent case harder to pull from the chamber and wears on the extractor.

Brass is soft and the case head will give if the spent round is stuck. Since steel is hard, the extractor takes the abuse.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
The way I looked at it, I could replace the bolt every 1000 rounds and still come out cheaper than paying the high price of brass case ammo.

I missed a deal on some federal brass case surplus stuff at the local shop this week. $279/900 on stripper clips.

And while we are on the topic, has anyone saw the steel case stuff Walmart is selling now? I guess they are trying to find something cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts