Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
complete assembly getting it ready for the dyno what do you guys on here that build for a living charge?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I've seen it anywhere from $750 to over $2200. Depends on the application.

Dennis

·
Registered
556 Posts
depending on the engine we charge between 1750-2500 including dyno tuning. This price include all the parts like rings- bearings- gaskets)

If just an assembly it is usually around $1500 including dyno testing.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
That sounds about right.... I start at just labor at $1000 and that buys you roughly what it takes me hours of shop rate... you never really can tell what you will run into that needs to be fixed so it has to be somewhat flexable. Clearances are usually the issue be it cam to rod, piston to valve, rod to block etc... there are just SO many things that have to be checked and fixed it's hard to say till you get into it.

I know of a customer of mine that is lower than that but once he puts in things like filing rings and degreeing the cam it's basically $1000.... I know that might sound odd but some customers are cheap and on rebuilds filing rings isin't always needed if you are just putting them back in.

Bret

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I would trade it out with ya.....for a night with the girl in your avatar!:p

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
complete assembly getting it ready for the dyno what do you guys on here that build for a living charge?
You need to know what processes & checks are being done before you make any direct comparisons. Some places will charge a lot but they put a lot of work into a build, where others perform cleaning, minor inspections, then assembly.

One thing I'll give you as an example: Customer-provided oil pans to make sure they drop on & fit without tamping the thing around & fighting to get bolts to start. That can easily eat up 2 or more hours, depending on the pan. Since they selected the pan and they don't want their selected part to leak or fail otherwise, they are obligated to pay for that time.

Some outfits will zing a poor fitting sheet metal part on or beat on it with a hammer without thinking twice.

It goes on & on, but the bottom line is there will be a large variance in prices out there so you need to know what the extent of the work is to be performed and get an idea as to what your targeted shop's interpretation of the word "quality" means.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had mine done by a race shop in IL. Ended up around 1500. This wasdisassemble, clean, hone, assembly, all new bearings, rings, check & fit all clearances, degree cam, pushrods, and port & fit up lower intake

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I had mine done by a race shop in IL. Ended up around 1500. This wasdisassemble, clean, hone, assembly, all new bearings, rings, check & fit all clearances, degree cam, pushrods, and port & fit up lower intake
thats alot of work for $1500

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i charge $750.00 to assemble new shortblock....no parts included!! file fit rings, degree cam, fit oil pan, and pump,set cam end play, install balancer,etc. $1500 for complete engine....depending on whats custom and bolt on??? some of these things take half a day just to get the intake fitted!! but you still got to get the pushrods length, fit rockers, valve covers, set spring installed heights, etc. its a hell of a lot of work for the money!!!:rolleyes: definitley easier stuff to do for more money!!!:smt102 and less responsibility!!! one fuckup......and your in deep shit!!!:smt103

·
Super Moderator
35,270 Posts
Not a clear answer can be given.

Let me give an example.

Engine I'm doing right now, the intake is not made for the heads I'm using. So it's numerous hours of machine time making it fit, making spacers, plugging and drilling holes in the heads, in the manifold.

Heads do not clear any pushrods over 5/16. So it's hours in the mill, and hand grinding to complete it.

Stroke does not fit in the block. Hours in the mill, hand grinding to complete it.

Using a Belt Drive distributor, one brand against another brand belt drive. Nothing fits, all custom including a custom bracket to make it work, no motor plate = hours.

Valve to piston. Have to cut pistons = hours of set up time, mock up time, recheck, recheck again....

Oilpan is not fitting correctly with the Titan pump I'm using. I have to cut out a plug in the pan and reweld a different style plug, more mock up time, machining time, welding time....

Valve covers don't fit on the heads with the exhaust plates. Mock up, set up, mill, = another couple hours of time.

None of this includes a dry mock up of the whole assembly to makes sure all is a go for final assembly.

Furthermore, I am sure I'm forgetting things just on this project what I mentioned above is wayt beyond the general assembly of an engine that still needs to be done.... all the measurements, prep work, etc etc etc....

Let me add another etc....

1000-1500 bucks to build an engine? There is no way a real business can do this for a living on that scratch. What are you making in the end? 15-20 per hour AT MOST.? You ain't paying no bills on that. Wear and tear on the equipment costs more than that....

I find it interesting people will throw down 2-4-6-8-10 grand for a cylinder head guy to put ports in a casting, but to do critical over all assembly work, and have all this responsibility on YOU THE ENGINE BUILDER, ..... 1000 bucks? You're not going to last long in this business.... you'll go broke.

-It's important to take into account many things besides an hourly rate.

-Utilities - Gas and Electricity.

-Tooling and Equipment - This stuff gets worn down and used up. Will that 1000 bucks go toward replacement costs?

-Rent and or other loans on facility.

-Your time of life - priceless

-Your intellectual property - Is your knowledge free? If someone has chosen you is it because you're the cheapest or because they want your knowledge?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So Chris, When you invoice this guy out do you have just an "engine assembly" charge, or do you bill out each sub assembly differently?

·
Super Moderator
35,270 Posts
It's probably more correct, for this discussion to clarify the type of engine work this is. What the level of engine it is. Street/Bracket, or Class/Grudge are entirely different animals.

For me it does depend on the type of engine. Most of my engines are custom ground up, class or grudge type engines. The invoices have a general assembly charge which comprises of roughly how many hours I have in the engine, my intellectual property, and what I feel the engine is worth. I'm selling a product. I don't consider it a simple assembly by the hour.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts