Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bbc for a reasonable price and it has a set of BB2 plus heads on it. I pulled the heads off and the block is o-ringed, block filled an inch from the top and the bore mesured out at 4.380. I was told it was a 501 but something don't sound right. Also the heads had water in them and busted both ends on both heads, I'm sure they can be fixed but what else should I look at on the heads for damage. Thanks YB.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
cu in would depend on sstroke also. if its 4.0 std 454 you would be around a 482cu. with 4.25 it would be a 512cu. is it filled above the water pump holes? If so you will need to cool thru the heads. can you post picks of the damage? I would have the heads checked for cracks when you go to have them repaired.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've talked to a guy in my area and he said with the intake and carb set-up that was on it, a edelbrock tunnel ram 2-r and 2 4500's, he said it sounds like a old pro mod or pro stock motor. I still dont know the stroke but I didn't think you could take a factory GM block .130 overbore.

I looked at the heads a little closer and both of them are cracked down the middle between the center bores also. One head is cracked between the cylinders from valve seat to vale seat. The are CNC'ed were the intake bolts and just above the seats. Does this mean they are the BB2 + CNC? How much should I spend repairing them before I toss them and buy blanks? Just worried I can't get the blanks to work like the ones I got. Any suggestions please. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
my block is .125 over and filled to the bottom of the waterpump holes so .130 is possible. it's also as far as you can go. the heads i wouldn't spend to much. seems like you can buy them used for $1500 and up. sounds like yours will need alot of work. pics help alot on here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts