Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my no name converters and trying something a little better on a budget.
i can get a 8 inch stage 2 tci with 100 runs for 250.00
i can also get a new fairbanks 8 inch for 300 was 600-700 new.
these are affordable to me.
ive been running ******* converters and find they have too much slippage . so i want to try something better.
i am running a 91 s10 short bed with 28 10.50 tires 350 turbo 4.10 gear and a mild 406 with motown 220 heads 10.1 to1 comp. matching motown intake (looks like super victor) 950 hp comp extreme energy solid with 252 260 @50 with 545 555 lift . then i installed 1.6 rockers to put me in the 585 595 range. running all msd ignition . i dont see ahy the phuck i can not get this thing to run good.
i went to track with powerglide and 4200 stall and ran a 11.67 @115.9 and a 168 60 foot. went thru traps at 6250 rpm.
i have changed to a th350 and im looking for a quality stall on a budget.
let me know your thoughts on engine combo and or stall combo.
i feel i need more converter . i am upgrading to a roller cam and more compression this winter unless she wakes up this fall.
thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you can give the numbers on that TCI converter, I will try to help you with your combo. The stage 2 description doesn't tell me much. It will have TCI and then the part number right after that. It should start with the numbers "2540".

Tony Akins
Morace Motorsports
(251)-971-1556

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
im looking for a quality stall on a budget.
Tough nut to crack there.

The torque converter is NOT the place to save money though, especially on a bracket ride.

It's tough to shell out $800 to $1000 for a doughnut, but it is better than having a $400 "bargain" converter take a dump before you get on the trailer and ruin your transmission, as well as throwing away the $400.
(been there, did that)
After all that, I had $1900 in my converter, if you add the damage and original wasted $400. Lesson learned.

If you can pick up a nice "core" unit cheap, and have it re-worked for your combo, you might save $300-$400 on the deal in the end.

·
Registered
153 Posts
being on a budget is rough, i personally would never run a used converter because you never know what can happen and 80% of the time you end up having to freshen it or restall it anyway. if you have a ******* converter you can take it to someone good and have it set up right, if it needs nothing for parts then itll usually run around 150$ or so which will fit your budget. on the high end it usually cost around 500$ to fix a toasted converter which is still cheap and you end up with a new unit. just my opinion though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TODAY I SPOKE WITH TCI AND I THINK WITHOUT LOOKING THE TCI IS 250413 AND THEY TOLD ME IT SHOULD STALL AROUND 5800-6000 TOO MUCH FOR MY TASTE.
TODAY I BOUGHT THE FAIRBANKS AND I HAVE A STUPID QUESTION BUT IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE A 8 INCH BUT MEASURES EXTERNALLY 9 1/4.
NOW IS A CONVERTER MEASURED EXTERNALLY OR IT'S INTERNALS.
THIS WINTER THE ENGINE WILL SEE 11 TO 1 COMP WITH A NICE ROLLER CAM
I JUST CAN'T SEAM TO MAKE THAT 10 SEC CLUB.
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE​

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Dayco that wouldnt be my recommendation to anyone with a big budget, but it has lasted for quite a while now. It was only $250 or somewhere in that range.

What was the stall on the Fairbanks?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Where do you plan on shifting the engine at? With your combo, how much horsepower do you think you have. I don't think that TCI converter will stall that high. That converter would be closer than you think.

Tony Akins
Morace Motorsports
(251)-971-1556

1 - 10 of 10 Posts