Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 100 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I have no sides in this conversation but, Chris has thrown down the gauntlet!
Actually Boss, a racer, end user wants to spend his money wisely. Having many customers in Canada he is going to pay 30% more for the part in Canadian because of the exchange rate.

Its only fair that the consumer should know whats the best his or her money can buy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ok we need someone with some engineering and a netural party to take 2 pairs of lifters apart and let us know the findings.
Do you want a TBL (tell by lookin') analysis or measurements, hardness checks, FEA and things like that? Do the lifters have to be in working order after I'm done? An EDM cross section would be pretty telling too but that costs dough.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Ok we need someone with some engineering and a netural party to take 2 pairs of lifters apart and let us know the findings.
Well, I'm a mechanical engineer (though retired) but can't really be neutral as I've had many lifters brands in the shop over the years for evaluation. Guess that why I carry, Morel, GSP and Jesel and not Gaterman and BAM.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Do you want a TBL (tell by lookin') analysis or measurements, hardness checks, FEA and things like that? Do the lifters have to be in working order after I'm done? An EDM cross section would be pretty telling too but that costs dough.
A visual on the machine work under the roller on the body is all that is needed. The support strut in the center of the Morel is clearly visible. Not to mention the Morels finish on the bodies. No black oxide needed.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,359 Posts
Cost difference between a Morel, Crower HIPPO, and BAM for a SBC with an offset pushrod pocket? I guess they are .842, I never changed the size from new, had them in my Bowtie block, now my Dart Little M. Put a good used set in my 1989 stock GM block for my wives 383.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
From what I have been told first hand from builders they have gone to BAM for price but are still selling the lifter at Morel retail.......
So your saying that some retailers can buy these cheaper BAM lifters and still get premium MOREL pricing for them? And customers don't say just give me Morels or complaining?

Be nice to get someone like WARP to really dig into these lifters, Brinell hardness, case or thru hardening, Ra finishes, sizings of various parts at controller temps and environments, in tenths or better yet, microns.

And would like to see Morel, BAM, G&S, Jesel, Comp and Isky just for a comparison of more than just 2 lifters.

I DO think the Morel SOLID rollers seem to be a quality lifter. Can I say IF Morels are better than the rest, no I'm not that experienced with them and I believe that Howards are Morels. And the only solid roller lifter I every trashed were Howards. And that since running solid roller on the street since the 90's. But could have been our fault too with too much spring pressure?? I have had 4 sets of Howards and the rollers let go in 2 of those sets. We are using G&S lately and seems good.

Actually had a customer come in to get his BBc assembled. Says the Hy roller were Morels. I picked them up and put them in the trash, and GAVE him a set of G&S solid in exchange. We figure it's cheaper to give them for free then "possibly" have issues down the road. I showed him some stuff here and the internet about Morel BBc lifter tick, and special oils possibly needed. He has since resold the Morels privately.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
A visual on the machine work under the roller on the body is all that is needed. The support strut in the center of the Morel is clearly visible. Not to mention the Morels finish on the bodies. No black oxide needed.

Ok Mr Engineer,
What exactly Does this Great center Support strut do that Makes it SO much better then anybody elses.

I mean Seriously here , Dude you are stretching here.... I HAVE NEVER IN ALL MY YEARS, SEEN A BODY BREAK IN THAT AREA.....NEVER.......

Also SIR, May I ask what ever happened to the Lab results of the Broken Wheel on that Morel lifter that you blamed the cam surface Finish for the Failure....?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Well, I'm a mechanical engineer (though retired) but can't really be neutral as I've had many lifters brands in the shop over the years for evaluation. Guess that why I carry, Morel, GSP and Jesel and not Gaterman and BAM.

:cool:
Hey, I can live with that....... We ain't all gotta agree...

May I ask Why you don't like BAM?

·
Registered
78 Posts
A poster has asked for a comparison so If you want to send a pair of BAM and I will send a set of Morels to a neutral party I'm fine with it.

From what I have been told first hand from builders they have gone to BAM for price but are still selling the lifter at Morel retail.......So your statement Logan above after someone has reported back to the board that yes by far the Morel lifter is a higher quality lifter than the only reason you use the BAM is price....to make more money on racers.
News flash for you, I work for racers and make money off racers. Where do you get your revenue?

You have no idea how much I charge for lifters.

We were using some Morels(along with Jesel and Crower) until we had a Morel wheel fail, we decided to try a different brand. We did extensive research and chose lifters from BAM for the applications that previously utilized Morels. So far they have been flawless and the sizing is more consistent than the Morels we previously used. After making the switch we still had some Morels in service and one of those failed a tie-bar.

If we had not failed a Morel we would still be using them regardless of price. The fact that I can buy BAMS for less than Morels is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
News flash for you, I work for racers and make money off racers. Where do you get your revenue?

You have no idea how much I charge for lifters.

We were using some Morels(along with Jesel and Crower) until we had a Morel wheel fail, we decided to try a different brand. We did extensive research and chose lifters from BAM for the applications that previously utilized Morels. So far they have been flawless and the sizing is more consistent than the Morels we previously used. After making the switch we still had some Morels in service and one of those failed a tie-bar.

If we had not failed a Morel we would still be using them regardless of price. The fact that I can buy BAMS for less than Morels is a nice bonus.
Easy Tiger........

You'll soon be hung by the internet Bullshit here to discredit you and your business.....LOL

I can't wait to ear the independent lab results on that failed Morel Lifter wheel from the cams Surface finish:rock:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have a passion for this industry, an engineering background and profession, and a brother that is a machinist. I'm good with it. Straub Tech in. I can even send a Ford if you like.

RCM or Logan are you good with Boss evaluating the quality of each mfg ?
Surprised you feel the need to ask my permission to send your lifters anywhere. Send them wherever you like, perhaps even one of the two imaginary labs that were supposedly evaluating the surface finish of your cam that broke the Morel wheel.

81 - 100 of 241 Posts