Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Senior Moment
6,149 Posts
NIKON !!!!!!! lol actually,I just paid $250.00 for a D200.I had my reasons............as lonnie said for $400.00 you can probably do3a little better........used.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The D200 was certainly not one of Nikon's better bodies especially if shooting in low light. If buying used, I would probably look for a D90 which should be plentiful even packaged with a lens or two. A better decision might be to go into a new DSLR which would take advantage of some of the new features available. Go to Nikon USA >>>LINK and select a few in your price range and select them and do a compare. Then go to Thom Hogan's site>>>LINK and check out his reviews. Often there are refurb units which can save a few bucks but still have the standard warranty. You can find these at Nikon USA, Adorama, B&H, Midwest Photo and others.

The same can be said about Canon but I am a Nikon user and more familiar with their products.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
I need an inexpensive video camera (like 100 bux) that is just capable of shooting a quarter mile pass day or night. I tried to take some video with my wife's Cannon point and shoot, but it will not focus long distances and it worse at night. Nothing fancy, just YouTube quality stuff. Suggestions?
pawn shop. all my video footage is from pawn shop video cameras. yes soem of it isnt great in low light situations but im sure there are decent cameras in some shops. I havent really looked much in a couple of years.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
I have a Cannon T1i and need to upgrade. I looked at the EOS 60D which is the base "D" model camera at this time.

I need better low light sensitivity and hi ISO performance. The T1i gets grainy really above @ 800 and above. Also focusing speed/tracking focusing.

Thanks.

·
11,803 Posts
Any suggestions on what the best hand held professional grade video camera is ? Must be able to "Slow" the racing action down on slow mo...please pm any suggestions

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a canon T1I and works great but spend a bit more for the IS lenses from canon as they are Image Stabalized and cut down on camera shake especially with tele lenses, and are reasonably priced,my daughter has a 7d,but for average pics they are very hard to tell apart.Hers was $8000 for her stuff,mine $900
did you start with a top fuel or a street car that you worked up in
i started with a 57 chevy with a six,(pretty stout six)and now have dragster,takes time and know how and money

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
I have a canon T1I and works great but spend a bit more for the IS lenses from canon as they are Image Stabalized and cut down on camera shake especially with tele lenses, and are reasonably priced,my daughter has a 7d,but for average pics they are very hard to tell apart.Hers was $8000 for her stuff,mine $900
i started with a 57 chevy with a six,(pretty stout six)and now have dragster,takes time and know how and money
What did she buy for 8k,a 7d with kit lenses is only $1700, just curious.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yup, or Canon powershot,both good units.
Good point Kelly. The newer point and shoot products are absolutely amazing (compared to the price of pro gear). It doesn't even have to be a Nikon or Canon to get something that does the job well.

The key is understanding and accepting the limitations of the point and shoot cameras. They will never do a good job with sports or action photography unless you are willing to accept mediocre imagery.

Figure out where your budget is focused and do a search for that price point. Then do a Google search for reviews of each camera in your price range. That should reduce the number down to less than five. Go into brick and mortar and check them out and see what feels good in your hands.

At least that's how I would do it.

·
Prick Pro PhotoG
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

You know IS does not work when shooting moving objects right? So I am told...

And yes please inform us as to what yall got for $8,000 Pro body with a 70-200?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Wrong..

Quoted from Canon's website http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_IS:
The stabilization characteristics of the Optical Image Stabilizer are set so that it is most effective when photographing stationary subjects, but when panning of a moving subject is attempted, shake-return may affect the finder image, interfering with framing. This occurs because camera movement such as panning is judged to be shaking, activating the image stabilizer. To resolve this problem, Canon developed Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 2. In this mode, if you move the lens to follow a subject for a pre-determined time, the Optical Image Stabilizer continues to correct any camera shake that's perpendicular to the panning motion. However, the Optical Image Stabilizer doesn’t try to correct for the intentional panning, giving you a smooth viewfinder image as you follow the moving subject.

As well as....
Found on select Canon lenses and excellently suited for brilliantly sharp sports photography, Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 3 enhances Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 2 by functioning only when the shutter release is fully pressed. By remaining inactive until exposure, Mode 3 stabilization control allows for easy panning. Additionally, Mode 3 compensates shake in a direction perpendicular to the direction of panning when panning is detected and gives the equivalent effect of a shutter speed four stops faster.

·
Registered
820 Posts
slowcamino said:
What would you guys recommend in the 200-300 dollar range? I'm not looking to be a pro just something I can bring along with me and take some decent looking photos.
I just ordered a Nikon P310 from B&H for like $159.00,that's a pretty damn good price for a very good P&S,and that camera has the option to have some manual control,so it can help you learn to deal with those setting before moving up to a full on DSLR.

Best buy had the P310 for roughly the same price too.

I got the P310 as a "pocket companion" for the Nikon P7700 I bought back in Dec. for like $450.00.

That ^^^^ is another pretty highly regarded P&S as well,albeit a bit more pricey one.

The only real "ding" on the P310 for me is it does'nt shoot RAW,but I got the P7700 for that,so to me the P310 was kinda a no-brainer.

Me,I'm kinda like a lotta guys who are in the process of making a transition from basic point & shoot digi-cams (mostly an old Panasonic Lumix DMC LC-70),though I used to shoot with some SLR film cameras years ago as well,so I'm kinda used to the basic manual SLR settings,though honestly I felt for the time being,I'd work up to a full on DSLR a bit more slowly.

And I figured I'd save the added expense of a DSLR & lenses for when I wanna start really doing some "long lens" photos or such.

Point is,there are some really nice P& shoots out there for not a ton of $$$,just research them and shop around.

Bret P.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wife wants a camera for Christmas. It will be mostly track related photos and maybe some outdoor/hunting type shots. I want to stay in the ~$500 range. She is definitely new to this, but I dont want to have to buy a new camera next year because she wants more functionability, if that makes any sense. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
I got a Sony a55 right now and I plan on upgrading very soon. Been looking at the Nikon D7000. Im not a "Pro" at this but I have a general idea of how everything works. Am I jumping the gun in buying a camera like this for me? Or should I just go for it and get it since I enjoy taking pictures very much and want to get better and learn more.

Kev
I just upgraded to a Sony A77.

The reason(s):

Great camera for the advanced amateur
Built in ANTI SHAKE
AS in the camera, means you don't have to buy "special" lenses
Most of my Minolta, and Konica Minolta lenses will fit it, also.

Nikon makes an excellent camera, and I can see your reasoning, BUT, I'm a cheap bastard and hate to throw away ALL the lenses I have got.

Thing that bothers me about cameras, regardless of brands, is the advertising. From the ads, A)taking GREAT pictures is easy, B) by buying our camera, you to can be Ansell Adams, and C) buying our camera will make you a better photographer.

Big difference between photographer and picture taker, though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What would you recommend for a student taking a community college class called "Principals of Digital Photography". I'm going to buy a camera as a gift for my niece. The requirements on the camera read: DSLR camera, two memory SD 4 to 16gb flash drives - external hard drive, UV protective filter for each lens, camera bag, cable release, flash, extra lenses, tripod. Software apps Adobe Lightroom 5 Photoshop CS6. She is majoring in graphic technology and she isn't planning on pursuing a career in photography but it wouldn't hurt if she gets bitting by the bug and pursues it either. I'm going to buy the camera only, I assume she will have access to the software through class.

Thanks,

Scot

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
I'm not a professional but recently I bought Canon EOS 600D. Great device. I even start thinking of private photo lessons
Visit the Canon site. Somewhere on there are some tutorials / videos. I started with the second consumer DSLR Canon built the 350D/ XT. Then I got two 40D's and now have two 7D's and the little SL1, which is very small and very light

Even the old 40D is a better camera than most of us are photographers LOL

That 600D should be a hell of a good body if kept up undamaged for a long time. The glass is what "makes" these, keep that in mind. However there are quite a few "budget" lenses however, that are "better" than their price would suggest.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts