Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Prick Pro PhotoG
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are looking to buy a camera ask any questions here and read this thread for any information concerning buying a camera.

Or if you have recently bought a camera feel free to write a review about it on here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a Sony a55 right now and I plan on upgrading very soon. Been looking at the Nikon D7000. Im not a "Pro" at this but I have a general idea of how everything works. Am I jumping the gun in buying a camera like this for me? Or should I just go for it and get it since I enjoy taking pictures very much and want to get better and learn more.

Kev

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Get the D7000. I had a hard time justifying the coin, but I did it anyway. Just couldn't bring myself to buy a lesser model. A blind person could tell the difference in quality. Plus they are weather sealed. I have spilled water on mine and gotten caught in the rain with it. No issues.
The guys at the camera shop will tell you how good the composite(cheap plastic) bodies are. Then I ask them why the semi-pro and up all have magnesium or stainless bodies.

The other part about the D7000 is the ability to drive both types of AF lenses since it has the drive ring on the body.
Owning a Nikon gives you tons more lenses if you buy used. Nikons have had and will continue to have a wider acceptance than Canon leading to the availability of tons of used lenses and accessories.

I went to a rummage sale and bought an older 70-300 tele and a 28mm macro for 4 bux. They were the old billet Sigmas with fitted leather cases and filters. Dropped right on. Lady sold them because they didn't fit her new camera. Ooops.

There are lots of advantages buying a camera like the D7000. It will be a unit you can grow into. It also dispenses with stuff like effects and other BS that belongs on a point and shoot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great response RJAZE! Like you said I can "grow into it" I figure if I go with the 7000, I wont be needing a new camera anytime soon. And with the reviews I have read, and talking with my cousin who owns one his self, I think it would be a great buy and of course, an excellent upgrade from the camera I have now.

Kev

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Any feedback comments on this lens?

The Nikon AF VR Zoom-NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Lens is a high-powered zoom lens featuring an innovative Vibration Reduction (VR) system that allows handheld super-telephoto zoom shooting in poorly lit conditions. The VR system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake, and offers the equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed 3 stops (8 times) faster. The lens offers a natural viewfinder image even during VR operation and also detects automatically when the photographer pans. It is ideal for candid, portrait, sports photography and more.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No replies, so I did a bit of reading on B&H. Found this on a review for the $6K 200-400

Pros

• Durable
  • Fast / accurate auto-focus
  • Rugged
  • Strong Construction
Cons

• Heavy
Best Uses

• Wildlife Photos

Comments about Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens:
Great lens but come on, 7+ pounds. You'll end up getting tired of lugging this thing around and then purchase Nikon's junk lens the 80-400. You'll miss most of your shots with the 80-400 but then again after an hour of lugging the 200-400 around you'll be so exhausted that you'll miss just as many shots. Think Canon 400 f/5.6 SORRY

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just bought a Canon Rebel 450d, I love it so far, I have taken the best pics of my life on the auto settings where I guess the camera adjusts things for you. Can you give me any starter advice ? I think I should be using the Macro function for close pics.
Also would a 250mm lens be a smart thing for a noob to buy so I can zoom in better, the lens it came with only seems to make things farther away??
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
rtj, the part about the shooting in poorly lit conditions is not true for this lens. If you are shooting something far off in very good light, this will work. If you haven't got a 70-200 F2.8 yet, it would be wise to purchase one of those first. You also have the option of the older 80-200 lens in Nikon mount also. You can substitute the 70-300 if you need more reach after you get the very versatile 70-200. Or you could just buy a 1/4 teleconverter and get more reach. god Luck!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
rtj, the part about the shooting in poorly lit conditions is not true for this lens. If you are shooting something far off in very good light, this will work. If you haven't got a 70-200 F2.8 yet, it would be wise to purchase one of those first. You also have the option of the older 80-200 lens in Nikon mount also. You can substitute the 70-300 if you need more reach after you get the very versatile 70-200. Or you could just buy a 1/4 teleconverter and get more reach. god Luck!

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of VR lenses already 70-300 and 55-200. I wanted something with more zoom, but hadn't thought about a teleconverter. I'll check those out.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Well guys its time for me to go camera shopping and I could use some help. Right now I am a point and shoot type of guy so I am looking for something under 600 dollars. Don't laugh but I now own a Kodak EasyShare V530. Walmart has the Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR on sale now for 499 dollars but like I said I need something that would shoot some nice track pictures in auto mode for now. I see it also does video which is nice too. Is this one over my head or is there a better option out there for me. The only thing I will miss about my camera that I use now is it fits in my pocket. Thanks for any input guys.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Whatever you get take a class at your local tech school. You will learn how to "drive" the camera. I am biased towards Nikon for a lot of reasons. Not the least of which is many times more used lenses and "glass" than Canon. Just a lot more used gear in general.

If you're not ready to go pro-sumer or full pro check out the Sony DSLR's. Nice features, decent pricing and with their translucent mirror technology they will shoot 11 frames per second.

Final notes: Don't shy away from older pro models of Nikon or Canon. You will get a rock solid beast that will serve you well.

Don't get caught in the mega-pixel race. It is just plain stupid. A friend of mine uses an ancient 4MP Nikon and makes an unholy amount of money with it. His best summer was $20K! Granted he is an instructor for photography but he let me in on a secret. He does not buy a lens. He buys "glass". You can have the best camera body in the world, but if you put a cheap lens on it you're kidding yourself.

·
102,312 Posts
I have a Nikon P90 Coolpix and a Nikon D7000. The Coolpix goes out on patrol with me because the cameras in the patrol cars suck. I am still learning this D7000. This thing is like buying a car with all the options and you have to learn them all.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Carl, you may want to purchase the book "Understanding Exposure" for a refresh of working with the D-7000. As you say it is a lot of camera. Also you can look online at some of the youtube videos of Jared Polin(Fro knows Photos). They are very informative.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts