Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sbf 434 with a .773 lift roller cam with triple springs and a seat pressure of 360.I will be using 3/8" pushrods and it will spin to 7800. Any suggestions on a brand ?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Call Terry at Manton I have less seat pressure than you on my SB2 and have 7/16 .140 wall. Don't skimp, this is an area your engine needs big.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would definitely use atleast a 7/16 inch, .120 wall pushrod with your spring pressure and rpms. I have had excellent results using Manton. They have great customer service and will not steer you wrong. I have a 434 sbf with over .800 lift that I spin 8500 with 400 lbs on the seat and I have Manton 1/2 inch, .168 wall dual taper pushrods in it. I have never had an issue with a Manton pushrod. Put the biggest pushrod in there that you can get.

Chris

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much clearance do you need through the hole in the head.It measures .520.In the mean time I emailed TEA to see if 7/16 will fit

·
Registered
514 Posts
The pushrod to cylinder head clearance on my engine is roughly .0035. Don't worry about .520, that is way more than plenty. Tight pushrod clearance can actually help in stabilizing push rod deflection. As long as its not to tight. Just make damn sure that the push rod is not binding against the cylinder head when you rotate the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
You should be fine with a 7/16 push rod as long as the push rod doesn't bind against the cylinder head.(very important!) If you have aluminum heads it is not uncommon to have to clearence them a little.

Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am running the Ford Motorsports A-3 canted valve heads. They are 25 years old but they still make awsome power.

Chris

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Like others said, lightly touching will not hurt. After you get your final measurement you can have one intake and one exhaust made to check clearance and final length. I adjusted the length slightly after doing this, it also gave me a spare pair just in case.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just on Manton's site and they have a pretty good article on clearance.That is a good idea on get two pushrods made to recheck instead of ordering them all

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Smith Brothers

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
Smith Bros is good stuff but I use Trend. Ck their website.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
MANTON pushrods. single taper is best. and give slightly more clearance than dbl. tapered.

·
T/S 368E
33,579 Posts

Smith bros. up to ~1200 HP. Manton on anything above that.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I use the manton .145 wall 3/8" pushrods in mine. I can't fit a 7/16" pushrod with my heads.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts