Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of ring an pinon gears are you using for street strip guys? Anyone using summit racing brand?

·
140 Posts
US Gear and a TOM'S Gear are the only brand produced in the USA. All the others are off shore products with questionable quality.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used the Richmond pro gears in this 9", but I've had luck with cheaper brands also. I've used the Jegs brand, Ford Motorsport in a 8.8, Motive as well. None made noise, or ever had any issues.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I have used the summit gears one time in a gm 10 bolt 8.5 rear axle they where noiser then I would have liked but held up decent.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well hope this dent bit me in the ass but I bought the summit racing brand
My guess is the same China factory sells them to Jegs also, although the Summit stuff a lot of it anyway is made by good company's in the USA. Like I said the Jegs gears were fine, wen bottom 10's on them, trans brake, mid 1.4 60' in a street car.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Seems so much now things sold under Summit/Jegs label are just relabeled gears etc from other big name manufacturers but I'm not sure who makes the gears for Summit. I have Summit gears in my 12 bolt in my Nova and they arent noisey at all and havent had a single issue. But I'm not putting tons of power to them either. Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
I lost a driveshaft at 147, and it damaged the ring gear in my motive 9" street gears. The gear set had been flawless on the street and for over 90, 800 plus hp passes. Decided to replace with a US Gear pro gear, and they have been noisier that phuck since day 1. Set up by a reputable builder, and we sent a camera in, and the pattern looks perfect. Disappointed, and kind of annoying when driving it on the street.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I lost a driveshaft at 147, and it damaged the ring gear in my motive 9" street gears. The gear set had been flawless on the street and for over 90, 800 plus hp passes. Decided to replace with a US Gear pro gear, and they have been noisier that phuck since day 1. Set up by a reputable builder, and we sent a camera in, and the pattern looks perfect. Disappointed, and kind of annoying when driving it on the street.
I am sure you are aware that pro gears are not supposed to be street driven. They are soft and will wear quickly. Designed for drag race only applications

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
I am sure you are aware that pro gears are not supposed to be street driven. They are soft and will wear quickly. Designed for drag race only applications
Yes. I did a bunch of reading, and discussions with respected builders, and I've watched the posts where many drag week guys have come on with their results of running pro gears on the street. I don't recall any of them having a durabilty issue. Regardless of that fact, these gears have been noisy from the get go. Apparently I'm not the only one that's had an issue like these in the recent past. Just annoying on the street.

·
Registered
16,438 Posts
Yes. I did a bunch of reading, and discussions with respected builders, and I've watched the posts where many drag week guys have come on with their results of running pro gears on the street. I don't recall any of them having a durabilty issue. Regardless of that fact, these gears have been noisy from the get go. Apparently I'm not the only one that's had an issue like these in the recent past. Just annoying on the street.
Pro gears are not meant to go 1000's of miles but for a drag week car that goes a few thousand miles wear isn't that big a factor. Plus any noise they generate will be hard to hear in the louder cars. Acceptable "noise" in those cars will be be annoying to guys like your and I that have quiet cars with full exhaust tend to

My last set of "standard" 3.50 gears went 225 passes with many 1.2x-1.3x. I changed them because they got noisy. I can't remember whose brand they were but I think they came from Strange and were either Motive or US Gear brand. I'm not exactly sure why they got noisy except that I was running 90w gear lube which may not have been heavy enough for my needs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts