Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for ideas on building or buying storage shelving for my garage. 11'-0 ceiling height. Maybe something wide enough to still store a car under, maybe not. Heavy enough to put a motor or two on, plus all the other bullshit stuff that's always in the way in a garage. Shop vacs, unused engine stands, whatever.

Maybe something like a mezzanine
thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
IF you have any local big department stores in your area closing go and see if they are selling any of the shelving. We had a Zellers, which turned to Target, store in our area closing. Walked in and bought a bunch of the modular shelving. IIRC it is 6 feet wide by 3 feet deep and can be as high as 8 feet. This shelving is normally about 600 bucks for a section like i bought. I bought 3 sections for 120 bucks IIRC. I saved huge money and the shelving was like new condition.
And its heavy duty, shelves height can be adjusted. Its the way to go if there is a department store closing near you.

If not, i was in Home Depot the other day and they have some big heavy duty shelving units. May wanna check that out.

Other than that, i also have homemade heavy shelves made with angle iron. I have had engines and transmissions on these shelves. They were there when i bought my house. They are also tall. I have 12 foot ceilings.

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Looking for ideas on building or buying storage shelving for my garage. 11'-0 ceiling height. Maybe something wide enough to still store a car under, maybe not. Heavy enough to put a motor or two on, plus all the other bullshit stuff that's always in the way in a garage. Shop vacs, unused engine stands, whatever.

Maybe something like a mezzanine
thanks
Check your local craigslist for pallet racking.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah pallet racking is likely what mine is called. Mine does not use caging as a floor. They are solid. My next door neighbour is configuring one of his to use as storage and one level of it is going to be a work bench.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Pallet Racking. The deals come from Plant Closings and such. If you buy them used from a company who hussles them expect to pay too much.... Clist and try Thomas Auctions also....

Good luck,
JW

·
T/S 368E
32,442 Posts

I build my own pallet shelves.
Easy and cheap.
2x6 or 2x8 if real heavy. Build the frame, add pallets, good to go. I had dozens of pallets, so I screwed them in, and set the pallet with stuff on it on top.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts

I build my own pallet shelves.
Easy and cheap.
2x6 or 2x8 if real heavy. Build the frame, add pallets, good to go. I had dozens of pallets, so I screwed them in, and set the pallet with stuff on it on top.

it one of those things that are so cheap to buy , why build. imo

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checking out the craigs list and such. Looks like there's a shit-ton of pallet racking out there.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
For under storage such as a car you should build cantilever shelving off a wall ledger suspended from cdiling joist or span corners with uprights.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
ditto on finding a retail store going out of business. I went into to buy a single section, and when I showed up, they said take as much as you like, just get it out of here.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Pallet rackings is good if a max span of 12ft works. A PSL wil get you 20ft.

·
Registered
633 Posts
JK. I built a mezzanine using pallet tack uprights about 10 years ago. Built the top like a deck, 2x12s 4x8 plywood etc. in a warehouse. added about 1200sq ft with it

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,557 Posts
Yeah pallet racking is likely what mine is called. Mine does not use caging as a floor. They are solid. My next door neighbour is configuring one of his to use as storage and one level of it is going to be a work bench.
Try this, not as cheap but very sturdy and movable if needed.

·
T/S 368E
32,442 Posts
it one of those things that are so cheap to buy , why build. imo

There was no internet, no craigslist, so I built my own.
I would imagine now a days it's different, but when you have a shop full of pallets and 2x4's, a few 2x6 is a very cheap investment.

I've had my shop for a very long time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts