Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the following deal to use with my Sierra 1500 while towing our open trailer and '71 GMC:

The thing was over $600 but seemed to work well to control sway and help with weight distribution. However, ... I despised owning a half ton truck and bought a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited 4WD with the gas 6.4 Hemi. It's completely stock but that sucker sits HIGH in the air!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

If I use that Fastway set-up, even with it set on the lowest setting, the tongue of my trailer is still going to be about 6" higher than level.

I purchased a 10" drop hitch which brings the ball 7" down from the receiver and should keep the trailer level but I lose the sway and weight distribution. Will that even matter on a non-DRW 2500 truck?

I even thought about something like this:

and using the Fastway set-up that I have. Fastway makes a longer drop shank than what we have to move it down more but I'm afraid it's TOO long and will be too close to the ground at the bottom of the shank.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Have you towed with that 2500 yet?

I had an f150 and it was very scary towing anything over 4000#

I have a RAM2500 and I have pulled many bumper pulls with zero issues or problems. Very solid platform to pull with, without any anti-sway stuff.

Sky Wheel Cloud Tire Car

Reactions: JasonG

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice set-up^^^! No, we just bought the Ram 2 weeks ago. We have a 6-hour trip planned week after next as we're headed to Biloxi, MS for Cruisin' the Coast. Do you know what your whole trailer set-up weighs? Are you just using a drop hitch with nothing else? No sway or weight distribution issues? What size drop is that?

We had a Silverado 3500HD DRW and I never needed anything other than a simple bar and ball; no sway, etc. I didn't know if the 2500 would react as well as the 3500 without the DRWs.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nice set-up^^^! No, we just bought the Ram 2 weeks ago. We have a 6-hour trip planned week after next as we're headed to Biloxi, MS for Cruisin' the Coast. Do you know what your whole trailer set-up weighs? Are you just using a drop hitch with nothing else? No sway or weight distribution issues? What size drop is that?

We had a Silverado 3500HD DRW and I never needed anything other than a simple bar and ball; no sway, etc. I didn't know if the 2500 would react as well as the 3500 without the DRWs.
If it was me, I'd hook up and do a test run. You should be surprised with the handling.

That is my heaviest trailer, I think it's about 1800# on the hitch. I use a Weigh safe hitch with a built in scale. I think its the 4" drop.
I've pulled my dump trailer with over 1500 gallons of water, that kinda heavy.
I pulled a custom mobile CELL tower 1400 miles. It had a generator, batts, hydraulics for the tower, and was actually very heavy. Drank more fuel then expected.
I pulled a goose neck with a 40' container ( Not applicable here)
100's of dump trailer loads of dirt n stuff.

I did replace the factory coil springs with factory air bags and custom controller. I can drop to the bumps, back to trailer, and raise way over normal ride height. comes in handy to move trailers in the yard, with out using the jacks.

I had another RAM2500 on steel coils and it towed great too. No bags. I did add aux bags eventually, but really didn't make much difference.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. Ended up buying a B&W Stow and Go 7" drop hitch. Set it up on the next to lowest setting and with the weight of the GMC the front of the trailer was 1/2" higher than the rear from being perfectly level. Can't get much closer than that.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

Towed over 200 miles today for the first time from East Texas to Mississippi with zero issues. No sway, etc. even with the highway packed with semis. Truck towed like a beast. Gas mileage was about 12 running 70-75 with the AC on.

By the way, the governor of Louisiana can kiss my white butt. Their roads are horrific and dangerous. It beat us and our equipment up all the way across the state on I20. I've driven on gravel roads that were literally better than these crappy highways. He, and everyone else responsible for their roads, should be in prison.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
85,244 Posts
I j
Yes sir. Wife and I have never been before. Planning on spending 3 days there and heading back Saturday afternoon.
I just got back.. pretty awesome ...never seen so many rods in one place...I stayed at the Golden nugget.. lost some money...but it was a good time

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice. Ended up buying a B&W Stow and Go 7" drop hitch. Set it up on the next to lowest setting and with the weight of the GMC the front of the trailer was 1/2" higher than the rear from being perfectly level. Can't get much closer than that.

View attachment 408130

Towed over 200 miles today for the first time from East Texas to Mississippi with zero issues. No sway, etc. even with the highway packed with semis. Truck towed like a beast. Gas mileage was about 12 running 70-75 with the AC on.

By the way, the governor of Louisiana can kiss my white butt. Their roads are horrific and dangerous. It beat us and our equipment up all the way across the state on I20. I've driven on gravel roads that were literally better than these crappy highways. He, and everyone else responsible for their roads, should be in prison.
Yep, been towing on these shitty interstate, and state highways for 3 decades. CONSTANT trailer repairs. CONSTANT windshield rock chips from the highways falling apart. As we call it Lousyana...
Our politicians steal $$$ with the best of em.....

·
Registered
5,945 Posts

View attachment 408130

I'm sure I-10 is out of your way but it's probably the smoothest road in Louisiana.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts