Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These cars have aluminum frames... can they have an SFI legal cage, or 5 / 6 point bar, w/out having to transfer all they're stuff onto a regular C6 vette frame? (which is still steel I belive) I've seen these run high 10's on just a set of DR's, a good driver, and a quick tune.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
No spec currently covers them. What I have seen people do is use a cage mounting plate and bolt the plate in on both sides of the frame. Plate on top plate on bottom. Obviously becuase the bolts could easily pull through the frame.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
A bolt-in roll bar just bolted to the body using 6x6 plates above/below is good to 9.99 so I don't see any difference there. But going faster than that you're S.O.L. I guess.

Craig

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
A bolt-in roll bar just bolted to the body using 6x6 plates above/below is good to 9.99 so I don't see any difference there. But going faster than that you're S.O.L. I guess.

Craig

thats is deffinetly not legal as its a frame car and the cage/roll bar would need to be weld to the frame... not to mention the body and floors on corvettes are fiberglass..

what you are talking about applies to unibody cars...

my father called nhra to ask them about this when the new zo6's came out and they said we have no clue what to do with these cars:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
They will never come out with a spec for these cars. It simply will not happen. However a bolt in roll bar should be legal. What I mentioned before about the mounting plates should be more then adequte for the SCCA which I belive has no spec either.

Would be nice if they came out with a spec for aluminum but the welding requirements would be insanely tedious. You would have to anneal all the welds to.

thats is deffinetly not legal as its a frame car and the cage/roll bar would need to be weld to the frame... not to mention the body and floors on corvettes are fiberglass..

what you are talking about applies to unibody cars...

my father called nhra to ask them about this when the new zo6's came out and they said we have no clue what to do with these cars:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
They will never come out with a spec for these cars. It simply will not happen. However a bolt in roll bar should be legal. What I mentioned before about the mounting plates should be more then adequte for the SCCA which I belive has no spec either.

Would be nice if they came out with a spec for aluminum but the welding requirements would be insanely tedious. You would have to anneal all the welds to.

i dont know how the frame is on the newer ones, but on c5's its really not possible to do it the way your saying, unless you want bolts coming through the body in the rocker panel area... the frame in these cars is glued to the body down the rocker and under the door sill...:rolleyes:

corvettes are a pain in the ass overall..lol.. even doing a cage in a c5 properly is a pain... weve done a few cages in them..

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
this is jays dad,bob, to do one correctly you would have to weld outriggers to frame with a provision to bolt cage to it ,we have gone through this many times with nhra,[as we did one of the first C5,s and spent 3 weeks with them back and fourth] and they really are not into corvettes so its not a priority for them, so mike call them and see what they have to say then get it in writing,just in case a tech guy doesnt know.....thats your best bet or get a real car,lololololololol :pbob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts