Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powerglide with SBF 164t Ultrabell
Mid Plate x 1/4" Thick
Stock type SFI Flexplate
Small block Ford motor (front plate mounted)
8" Turbo splined Converter with pilot.

Converter hub(snout,pilot) is no where near being engaged into anything in the center of the crank.

Anyone make anything to adapt this?

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have something similar to that on my flex plate now but the support for the converter is well up into that piece. It's about 1/2" wide and bolts on with Allen bolts in the flex plate. If the support came out to the end of that 1/2" piece it would work fine but it's only about 1/4" wide and only on the flexplate side of the support. I have the feeling I could use that piece but it's like something is missing off of it.

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need a pilot adapter from chev converter to Ford small block and with the midplate you may need an extension added to the converter.

Hutch
It would work fine Hutch if the pilot hole in the 1/2" aluminum extension on the flexplate was the same size as the torque converter pilot all the way through it but it widens out to a different size as it get out to the end. The pilot on the converter goes into that piece when spaced .125 off the bottom of the pump but it doesn't go far enough inside to reach the pilot hole which is about a 1/4" wide and right off crank flexplate end of the piece.

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
The Ford to chev pilot adapter converts theford crank hole to a chev size. After that the converter can be modified for the midplate thickness.

You originally stated you had an sfi flexplate bolted to the crank. Now it has an aluminum adapter?

Hutch

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Ford to chev pilot adapter converts theford crank hole to a chev size. After that the converter can be modified for the midplate thickness.

You originally stated you had an sfi flexplate bolted to the crank. Now it has an aluminum adapter?

Hutch
Trans side

This bolts to the flexplate. It's .805 thick.
The steel pilot inside has been cut at some point and was floating in the hole.
The outside diameter of the pilot is 1.700.
The inside diameter of the pilot is 1.400. (same as converter)
It appears that someone cut the 1.375 side off the pilot at some point.
The torque converter was being run un-piloted. I didnt notice this until the trans came out and a 1/4" flexplate went back in along with the ultra bell.
With the transmission and every thing bolted up the edge of the torque converter pilot is dead even with the edge of this aluminum flange that bolts to the flexplate.
Someone has bound to have run into this before but I couldn't find anything looking today.

Motor Side

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an option. Get rid of all that oddball stuff and just get a flexplate and adapter that works. :)

Hutch
Know anyone that has something that works? I'm all ears.

·
Too Strong, For Too Long.
26,672 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
You need a ford flexplate that has ford and chev patterns then you need a small hub adapter to make the converter think it's a ford and you should be fine. JW makes them , PRW, Coan just to name a few.

Hutch

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My flexplate is a multi drilled one. (PRW).

I tried all day yesterday (Friday) to call JW Performance and never got hold of them.
Something going on with them?

I drew up a part on Solidworks that would work with what I've got but I don't have a lathe to make it. lol Damit
Put that on the to do list.

I'm ready to finish this project up.

I think that Aluminum hub came out of a TCI Kit from years back but I can't find a picture of it online.

I really appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
Then the flexplate should bolt right to the crank and all you need is a hub adapter. At that point you need to do what is required to the converter to make up for the midplate.

Hutch

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I just sold an ATI kit that had an adapter that would have worked for what you have. It had an ATI flywheel drilled for a GM pattern and an adapter like yours that bolted on with the flywheel. The plate, like a midplate had a Ford engine pattern and a GM trans pattern. Obviously you don't need that thick aluminum plate as you have the ultrabell. http://www.atiracing.com/products/adapterk/akit.htm

·
23,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just sold an ATI kit that had an adapter that would have worked for what you have. It had an ATI flywheel drilled for a GM pattern and an adapter like yours that bolted on with the flywheel. The plate, like a midplate had a Ford engine pattern and a GM trans pattern. Obviously you don't need that thick aluminum plate as you have the ultrabell. http://www.atiracing.com/products/adapterk/akit.htm
Ya but my K member doesn't have motor mounts and I just didn't feel like the supporting the engine at the front and the trans mounts alone was a good idea.
I forgot that it was Good Friday even though I should have realized that fact. :rolleyes:

Thanks, that's a good point probably it.

I'm sure there is a piece out there that will work and if there isn't a piece that will work I've already drawn one up on Solidworks that will.
What I drew up started out at 1.375 and went up to a 1.7" dia for the entire length of the piece to be supported by the aluminum piece I have now and was then bored with a 1.4 hole on the converter end to match the converter pilot. The converter is from PTC by the way so I may call them tomorrow too.

I can't find anyone that can tell me where this 1.4 in diameter converter pilot came from. I can't find a transmission out there that has that pilot dimension from the factory. I thought it might be a metric deal but that doesn't come out right either. SOOOO I don't know.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I posted the link to the kit, but all the parts are sold separately part # 915603. If you look at the adapter piece that mounts to the flywheel it might be just what you need. I would call ATI and get dimensions and ask them about your converter adapter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts