Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see they have expanded the UNLEASED progam - I dont get it, it was supposed to be a big "FAN EXPERIENCE" - yet when I see it on tv there is no one in the stands ?????? Is this a way to get the sportsman out of the national events ?? We know there not doing it out of the goodness of there hearts.

·
Registered
14,510 Posts
I think they were trying to get the same type of success that Pinks All Out was having. However, it looks as though they went with a format more like racers seem to be saying they would prefer to have. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
I see they have expanded the UNLEASED progam - I dont get it, it was supposed to be a big "FAN EXPERIENCE" - yet when I see it on tv there is no one in the stands ?????? Is this a way to get the sportsman out of the national events ?? We know there not doing it out of the goodness of there hearts.
I think you are probably right about the sportsman part...looks like what it's trending like in the NHRA future plans from what I'm hearing. On the other hand, instead of expanding the Unleashed program, they dropped ProMod and 10.5 (their two fastest classes), and dropped TV coverage for 2011. It seems to be moving in the wrong direction before it barely got off the ground. They ARE having an event at Famosa in October I think it is as an attempt to spread it out West. Looks like it's turning into a very limited bracket race deal from the way it appears with little momentum.

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
I think you are probably right about the sportsman part...looks like what it's trending like in the NHRA future plans from what I'm hearing. On the other hand, instead of expanding the Unleashed program, they dropped ProMod and 10.5 (their two fastest classes), and dropped TV coverage for 2011. It seems to be moving in the wrong direction before it barely got off the ground. They ARE having an event at Famosa in October I think it is as an attempt to spread it out West. Looks like it's turning into a very limited bracket race deal from the way it appears with little momentum.
Who told you they dropped 10.5W?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
According to the Unleashed website they did not drop 10.5w. My understanding Pro Mod was never an actual fixture in the deal while they did make a showing.
I think they are going to have to promote it to get a fan based program going. Too many people new nothing about it when it was in their back yard.
Hope it takes off!

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
I learned years ago not to bash a promoter of any type of drag racing events.......... The place your leaving is still someone elses playground ....... That being said if you want to put "BUTTS IN THE SEATS" you need a "SHOW" there is no show hence why there is nobody in the stands........... IMHO you cover the event and let the Drivers and their Cars be the "STARS" ...... a big named host isn't needed to have a kick ass show ....... sure it can be a racers event .......but if nobody comes to watch it won't see 2012

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
What Jimmy said.

It seems like a great idea, sort of a Pinks All Out, but more about fast doorcar racing.
I wish it would get the bugs worked out.
I am going to attend the west coast event to show my support, I really wish it could get big.

·
Registered
546 Posts
an "H"??? What do I win? All b.s. aside, is this program a feable attempt to regain the ADRL demographics or what? Jimmy, I agree whole heartedly! I have preached to several on the drivers commission, to change the NHRA divisional format. The NHRA authorities have NO reason to change. They make plenty of $$ under the current format. IMHO the only problem is, the $$ is from the racers, NOT the spectators.

·
Registered
546 Posts
On a side note, I cut my teeth running Outlaws & match races w/ my pops in the 80s-90s,
there were many a night when the track owner tried cutting the purse after the show..
Is that a realistic approach or poor planning/marketing?? Either way it created un-needed tension between the racers and the tracks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It takes time to build a fan base. It is a combination of a good show and marketing. I would expect spectator count to be low for the first season without an agressive marketing campaign.

I think what they may be trying to do is tap into the popular headsup racing scene
and test things to bring to the sportsman side of national events.

We have all seen the stands empty when the .90 cars come out.

Look how long it took for Hemi class to grow.
Hopefully they will give the Unleashed program time to get the bugs worked out before pulling the plug.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
My error on the 10.5 being dropped, for some reason I thought I remembered reading that on their site.

That being said, if you are trying to get people into the stands and increase wide exposure why would you drop your top class, ProMod and TV coverage? The reason we were given for dropping ProMod was "lack of time" at the event. (?) There were plenty of ProMod's wanting to run the races to help promote the series, so it wasn't from a of a lack of cars or interest. The Unleashed series provided yet another route for earning Grade Points as well as a Wally.

I hope it is a success as it would be a win win for all, but from the announcements of cutbacks and only 1 race in the Western half of the country, it gives the appearance that it's a half hearted effort at best going into the second season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts