Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range with my new S/W MP9. Shot about 50 rounds, shots were 6inches low from where I was aiming. Shot from a bench rest and it did 2inch group.
I had an older gentleman shoot it and he did 4" group freehand,,so it's not the gun.

Awhile back someone posted a training target that was a series of lines like below

l l l
_
_
_

Can someone please repost.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The M&P doesn't have a natural point of aim like an XD does. When you aim the pistol, make sure you lift your wrist to level out the weapon. This doesn't happen naturally because of the way your wrist functions!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are you shooting with both eyes open or one closed... You have to remember that thr M&P wasw designed in part by military and law enforcement... thus using the isoceles stance and both eye open POA... this dramatically effects sight alignment and wrist angle. Use a more aggressive stance with the gun higher than a standard weaver position. If you are doing all these things already I would look to a sight change on the rear...something with a lower cut. Some guys I shoot with have already made the sight change to theirs and they love it.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you shooting with both eyes open or one closed... You have to remember that thr M&P wasw designed in part by military and law enforcement... thus using the isoceles stance and both eye open POA... this dramatically effects sight alignment and wrist angle. Use a more aggressive stance with the gun higher than a standard weaver position. If you are doing all these things already I would look to a sight change on the rear...something with a lower cut. Some guys I shoot with have already made the sight change to theirs and they love it.
By lower cut , do you mean the depth of the groove in the rear site?
I need to work on the " both eyes open",,,I have a major problem with that because right eye is weak.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This one?
That's not the one I was talking about but I'm going to try to print it.

How big should it be and how far away should I be when shooting?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Awhile back someone posted a training target that was a series of lines like below

l l l
_
_
_

Can someone please repost.

That would have been me (stolen from a friend that is a defense trainer), and I draw up this target every time I shoot.

Take a big piece of paper and draw 4" long lines seperated a few inches apart. It will look like this:

I I I
_ _ _

+ + +

Start with the top left verticle line. Just try to hit the line, disregarding elevation. Focus just on windage. After hitting the line on the left one, move to the center and hit it, then to the right. Once you have hit all three, move to the horizontal row. Focus soley on hitting the line, not where you hit it. Side to side doesn't matter. After hitting that row, move to the "crosshair" targets. This is where you will focus on both lines at once and try to hit the point they intersect.

I still think everyone should try this target once. You will be amazed at how quickly your shooting improves.

And remember to look THROUGH the rear sight, using the front sight to aim.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've seen the target jinx posted in a Sniper training manual I have. Seems to work very well at long distance, Cant see why it wouldnt work closer.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The ball and dummy drill will show you the truth. I learn a lot every time I go to the range. Have fun and relax:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
By lower cut , do you mean the depth of the groove in the rear site?
I need to work on the " both eyes open",,,I have a major problem with that because right eye is weak.
Yes deeper cut in the rear sight... I think Dawson precision makes one for it.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
What's the ball and dummy drill?

Throw a dummy round in the mix and see if you flinch.

Works great for rifles too. Last year a buddy was trying to sight in his deer rifle and was all over the paper. I said, "let me check the scope and make sure its tight." Meanwhile, I took the round out of the chamber as he wasn't looking and handed the rifle back. When it just clicked and he saw how much he moved the rifle, it became obvious what was happening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts