Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago my wife threw a beef shoulder roast in the slow cooker and cooked it overnight. When we woke up the next day, it was the best breakfast I'd ever had. It was so tender and juicy and just perfect. We tried several times after that, but can't seem to get the same result.
My recent attempt was to put the meat in the cooker, add a little sea salt, some vinegar, a little lemon juice, a little water, a tablespoon of olive oil, and some cajun seasoning. We let it cook overnight and it came out horrible. It tasted good, but it was dry. It fell apart nice, but when you chewed it, it just seemed to dry up and turn mushy.
What's the right way to do a beef shoulder roast in the slow cooker?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
the leanness of teh cut greatly affects the dryness. Make sure the fattier side is up when cooking.

·
Sizeable Member
7,731 Posts
I know when it comes to low n slow bbq, which is very similar to crock pot cooking

juicy + tough = undercooked
juicy + tender = cooked right
dry + tender = overcooked
dry + tough = let someone else cook next time :p

For tough pieces of meat like a chuck roast, it takes time for the connective tissue (collagen) to break down (into gelatin). Low temps and long cooking times are what it takes but each piece of meat that requires this type of cooking is done when it's done. You can't always put an exact cooking time on it. You can start checking it after a reasonable amount of time but it won't be done until you can stick a fork in it and twist it to seperate the meat fibers. Anything beyond that will start to dry it out, even if it's cooking in liquid.

·
Registered
235 Posts
From what spook said the only thing I can add is remember it's done when it's done. With that being said even in a crock pot you need to check for doneness. I have made a few roasts in mine and found that sometimes the veggies or the meat are not done at the same time. The one thing I have done is start them at different times and actually preboiled my veggies to get better results.

Now on the flip side the temp of your meat before cooking might have changed the actual cook. I like to make a cooking log when doing things for the first time. Time, temp and all is important when trying to duplicate a meal. This way I have some type of reference material for the next cook. Also if it was good or bad we can tweak it to get the results we are after. Hope this helps and listen to spook he knows his %^*T. Vince

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
I know when it comes to low n slow bbq, which is very similar to crock pot cooking

juicy + tough = undercooked
juicy + tender = cooked right
dry + tender = overcooked
dry + tough = let someone else cook next time :p

For tough pieces of meat like a chuck roast, it takes time for the connective tissue (collagen) to break down (into gelatin). Low temps and long cooking times are what it takes but each piece of meat that requires this type of cooking is done when it's done. You can't always put an exact cooking time on it. You can start checking it after a reasonable amount of time but it won't be done until you can stick a fork in it and twist it to seperate the meat fibers. Anything beyond that will start to dry it out, even if it's cooking in liquid.
SPOOK KNOWS...
Each cut of meat is different... When you get a few hours into it...
Start checkin it... When it's done, you'll know...

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Some of them are just better than others... The fatty, Marbly ones seem to be the best.. Also, try leaving the water out... It tends to overcook them..
CrockPotDawg

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If are you sure it's not a different cut of meat, then I'd look at what was done differently.

Why are you eating stuff like that for breakfast? :)
It was actually supposed to be for lunch, but it smelled so good that I had to try it. Once I tasted it, I fell in love.

I'm gonna try making it again next week and I'll do like ya'll said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts