Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Mickey Thompson Celebration at the NHRA Museum in Pomona. So many old friends, some of whom I haven't seen in years. And some great stories, too (most of them are better left off the internet, lol). Dave McClelland was the MC and they had a wireless mic so you could hold your hand up and tell everyone stories about what it was like working for M/T, or going to Lions Drag Strip (Mickey was the manager). I hung out with Danny Thompson, his mother (Mickey's first wife) Judy Thompson (she ran the tower at Lions, and came up with the name "Freight Train" one night. Gale Banks was there, Alex Xydias, founder of SoCal Speed Shops. Alex was buidling hot rods and running at the dry lakes and Bonneville since the late 1940's and is still going strong today.

Other guys included Tom Jobe, from "the Surfers" fuel dragster.

Mike Sorokin lighting them up at the old Fontana. Jobe-Skinner-Sorokin were unstopable in their day, and talk about guys racing on a budget.

For most of the event I sat next to Danny Ongias (Danny On-the-gas). Danny drove everything, from top fuelers, to funny cars and Indy cars.

But the highlight was shooting the shit with Stu Hilborn. Stu must be in his 90's now but he is still all together.

Stu's old dry lakes car, all restored. This car was WAY ahead of it's time.

Fuel injected flathead. This is where it started, kiddies.

There must have been about 60 or 70 of us there, what a bunch of fun. What a great day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts