Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am i looking for? We ran 10 to 10.5 with the turbo car i hear its even richer on a nitrous cars. Any advice/help would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Same here, to slightly higher.

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
my wide-band would go as high as mid 14's but the plugs would look perfect. So I know if mine goes above 14.2 or so I got a problem.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow 12-12.5 seems really lean. I guess i am used to the turbo stuff.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Sprayin, the A/F can be very fickle, and as an example, can very depending on the exact location of the 02 sensor in the header. Mine will often get in to the 14's, and yet the plugs are still fine. Rely on Plug Reading, and confirm tune-ups by referring to the A/F ratio as a baseline. Most data loggers manufactures with 02s & A/F functions recommend fresh air re-calibration after a certain # of runs. Good luck.

·
5,033 Posts
Sprayin, the A/F can be very fickle, and as an example, can very depending on the exact location of the 02 sensor in the header. Mine will often get in to the 14's, and yet the plugs are still fine. Rely on Plug Reading, and confirm tune-ups by referring to the A/F ratio as a baseline. Most data loggers manufactures with 02s & A/F functions recommend fresh air re-calibration after a certain # of runs. Good luck.

no doubt. I run my 02's at my colletor on my headers. I know its not the most accurate way. So what I do is get a good lock on the tune-up and see what the wide-band says. If it says 14.0 in high on a 1/4 mile hit I know i'm good. If we get over 14.4 or so I know we got something wrong in the tune-up. I tell people who tune with Wide bands what my A/F ratio is and there like your gonna blow that bitch up....

They think just because you throw the car on the dyno and thats the a/f you come up with its perfect. Those type of people kill me..The plugs will be pig fat........but noooo its not there tune-up, something else is wrong because the WB reads 12.2:1........Im like whatever dude....

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Why does turbo cars run 11 and nitrous cars run 14 ? Their both just air pumps.Why can one be rich and make tons of power and the other cant?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah you should be where your motor runs best NA, I agree with Mike, should be around mid to high 12's
How do most of you no were your motor runs best? Do you engine dyno and leave the carb jets from the dyno?Or do you run some n/a pass at the track and jet carb from there to find your best n/a tune.Does the correction in engine dyno effect carb jets

thanks
just a newbie to nos tuning

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Mid to high 12's

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
wla, ideally both an engine dyno with experimentation of different variables, followed by track runs with different variables, i.e. carb jetting & timing & maybe fuel octane. Then look at the MPH as the best indicator of HP. As many would traditionally suggest, lean out the carb until such time as the MPH drops, and then add some jetting back.

All that said, the short answer is to make some test runs under the same conditions (DA, track, driver) and fine tune from there. Good luck.

·
5,033 Posts
Why does turbo cars run 11 and nitrous cars run 14 ? Their both just air pumps.Why can one be rich and make tons of power and the other cant?
my guess would be 99% of the turbo cars I have seen the wb plug off the down pipe. maybe 6 inches off. your not reading both sides like you do on a nitrous car.

my car for an example: I have 2 bungs on my collector. there not anywhere accurate. I do all my tunning off my plugs. whatever the plugs look good at is whatever a/f I run. my plugs look killer at 14.1 on my wideband. most would say that's stupid lean. if I know I'm good at 14.0-14.3 I will let it eat all the way through. if it starts going high I will shut it down. that's what works for me, might not work for others

·
Registered
367 Posts
wla, ideally both an engine dyno with experimentation of different variables, followed by track runs with different variables, i.e. carb jetting & timing & maybe fuel octane. Then look at the MPH as the best indicator of HP. As many would traditionally suggest, lean out the carb until such time as the MPH drops, and then add some jetting back.

All that said, the short answer is to make some test runs under the same conditions (DA, track, driver) and fine tune from there. Good luck.
Thanks fofo
let you no in 2 weeks at our next race.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
A turbo or a blown car, is "forced induction", a nitrous car is still a N/A combination. They are two totally different animals. A boosted car is "packing" the cylinder with the charge and while they may black smoke and run much richer A/F numbers, the charge is being forced through the chamber and the mixture "in the chamber", may not be near as rich as it would seem.

Monte

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A turbo or a blown car, is "forced induction", a nitrous car is still a N/A combination. They are two totally different animals. A boosted car is "packing" the cylinder with the charge and while they may black smoke and run much richer A/F numbers, the charge is being forced through the chamber and the mixture "in the chamber", may not be near as rich as it would seem.

Monte
So what do you recommend Monty

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
So what do you recommend Monty
What?? for an A/F ratio on nitrous???? Just as some of these others have suggested. Wherever the motor made best power N/A, that is the A/F you should target on the spray. Will likely be somewhere between 12.6 and 13.2....assuming your o2 reads correctly.

Monte

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a nos launcher my a/f is between 12.4-12.9 in a 1/4 mile pass haven't use it much but seems to have a clean brown burn on my plug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts