Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on what 1350 joints are good for a turbo car. Whats everyone having luck with?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Spicer 5-1350x here as well.

·
142 Posts
The Spicer u-joints test test the best. The joint failure point is in the 4300 to 4800 foot pounds torque using the Spicer retaining straps or u-bolts. With our billet caps we have seen a increase in the failure torque.
The logical next step if your close to those failure values is upgrade to the 1480 series shaft. That series showed approximately a 1000 foot pound increase in torque failure.
Keep in mind these are the failure values. The strength-life considering the number of cycles would be much lower. You can not expect to output torque close to these values without problems.

·
Banksters Paradise
7,739 Posts
I have the 1350x spicer joints mentioned above also. I bought them as spares a few years ago as i heard they're the best, but i haven't yet needed to fit them as i'm still running what was sold to me with the PST chrome moly driveshaft and they seem strong enough so far. What came with the PST shaft are a solid u-joint, not sure on brand, but they're definitely not the spicer 1350x.

·
Registered
97 Posts
From an experienced drag racer I’ve heard to change u-joints every two years; and use only Spicers, 1350s in my case. Cheap insurance in my mind, but how long does everyone else run them for; check every pass, race, season, etc.

·
Registered
68,992 Posts
1350 Spicer U-Joints, mild steel shaft. 12 plus seasons on the same set.
5.55 125mph, 1.19 1/8th mile 2350 lb car.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
do you guys just change out as routine maintenance or check for any wear then change.. all these ''little cost peace of minds'' add up in the long run

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
My buddy wanted to replace his U Joints. I got him some Lakewood solid joints. no grease zerts. He didn't like the price so he had his buddy match them up at Napa for $12 a piece and returned the others back to me. Someone else installed them. First burnout the drive shaft came out and tore up a lot and almost got the driver. Good parts are one thing, good installation is another. It has Spicer now with the new driveshaft.

·
Registered
68,992 Posts
do you guys just change out as routine maintenance or check for any wear then change.. all these ''little cost peace of minds'' add up in the long run
NEVER checked them. The only time I pulled the driveshaft were the four times I pulled the engine & trans to refreshen them, over thirteen years. I'd spin the u-joint caps that seat into the pinion yoke when the shaft was out, to feel how they felt, but that was it. No issues and back in it would go.

·
Busy being a cunt
30,124 Posts
NEVER checked them. The only time I pulled the driveshaft were the four times I pulled the engine & trans to refreshen them, over thirteen years. I'd spin the u-joint caps that seat into the pinion yoke when the shaft was out, to feel how they felt, but that was it. No issues and back in it would go.
You can "feel" a bad U-joint by "hand", you must be some sort of bearing guru 😎

·
Registered
68,992 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts