Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any cars that raced in the ADRL (pro extreme) this weekend were turbo cars. Don't recognize some of the names and don't know their combination.

·
11,809 Posts
Damm 3.63 is gonna be tough to catch....but if a blower car can do so can a turbo car. Turbo guys we gotta unite and work together to catch them screws ! Jensen and Rabon are the only turbo cars i know that run pro extreme.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Dave,

You probably know as well as anyone, what will it take for a turbo car to be competitive? Can it realistically be done?
Obviously judging by Frankie Taylors recent performance we know convertor technology is there.
And lets be honest, 3.50,s are coming so thats where the bar is at.

·
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
4,370 Posts
Dave,

You probably know as well as anyone, what will it take for a turbo car to be competitive? Can it realistically be done?
Obviously judging by Frankie Taylors recent performance we know convertor technology is there.

if you can run in the 3.70-3.75 range i think you can win just about every week if you run consistent. The fast cars did really well but barely ever make the finals i've noticed, taylor probably would of if whatever went wrong with the car hadn't but still Stott and Scruggs never made a 3.60 all weekend and made the finals.

this wont be true all the time, but usually it seems to be.

of course i'm just some fan....

and i have no clue what it would take to get there...

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Damm 3.63 is gonna be tough to catch....but if a blower car can do so can a turbo car.
If a ROOTS blower car can do it a turbo car can, but you ain't catchin' no SCREW!:finga:;)

Frankie and da Sheikh will dip in the .50s this year. Count on it!

Dave, any word on Frankie or da Sheikh making Shakedown this year? Would be awesome to see them in the 1/8 mile challenge!

·
11,809 Posts
Dave,

Craig,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. However, for the record our Pro Mod program is NOT competitive on any level at the moment.

Can it be done ? This is a question that "GREATLY" interests me. My "Feeling" is YES turbo charged cars can be competitive in Pro Extreme. Pro Extreme presents a much bigger challenge because the racing is run 1/8 mile as opposed to 1/4 mile where a turbo charged entry can make up some ground.

Facts to kick around....where do we (Turbo's) stand at this very moment ??? Lets start with "Known" performances (if my numbers are incorrect feel free to correct me)

Brad Personett has run 3.87 1/8 mile 5.86 1/4 mile
Spiro Pappas has run 3.88 1/8 mile on 10.5 tires
Andy Jensen has run 3.87 1/8 mile 5.91 1/4 mile
Coby Rabon has run 3.91 1/8 mile 5.96 1/4 mile

The factual numbers (based on known #'s) say Turbo's are.....

a) 7 hundreds behind "legal" roots bowers in the 1/4 mile
b) 13-18 hundreds behind Screw in 1/4 mile
c) 2-5 hundreds behind "legal" roots blown teams in 1/8 mile
d) a whoppin 24 hundreds behind Screw blower in 1/8 mile !

Once again can the Turbo close the "ET Gaps" above ? Yes they can but in "My" opinion it would take the following steps to make it happen. I'm quite sure i may be leaving something out and I would greatly appreciate any helpful feed back on this topic....

1) FUNDING: We need to have atleast 2-4 well financed Turbo Pro Mod teams in competition. Teams need funding to test...the costs associated with testing are huge ! Travel expense, flights, food, fuel, crew pay and having a stock of spare parts as well as parts to "try" runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Other than Spiro I'm not aware of a Turbo Team that has a big enough budget to get the job done. There are atleast 10-15 blown teams out there that have million dollar plus budgets and the benefits of those high budget programs filter down to other blower teams that have smaller budgets. Can you imagine what things would be like if we had 4 turbo teams with million dollar budgets ??? I think it would def help close the gap. Having a budget would allow turbo teams to :

a) purchase state of the art / light weight cars
b) bring in consultants for tuning and suspension issues
c) develope engine / power combinations....kinda like Brad Anderson & Alan Johnson have a base combo, in Nitrous you have Gene Fulton, Reher Morrision & Sonny's developing combos

d) Blower & Nitrous teams outspent $$ Turbo teams 10 fold...it gets worse because these same teams will "Continue" to outspend Turbo teams thus making it difficult if not impossible for Turbo's to catch up.

In closing can a TURBO powered door car run with Blown & Nitrous entries ???

The is Yes provided Turbo teams come up with the same $$$$ Funding the top 10 Blown & Nitrous teams have. It can also help the case if Turbo teams got together to "Compare Notes" on this subject but I understand that might be asking too much. Sadly we are at our Visa & Master Card limits which give us just enough to show up and attempt to qualify.

If you or your business is interested in helping make Turbo Charged cars competitive in Pro Mod Racing please consider joining a turbo team. It would be an awesome thing if Shiekh Khalid or Roger Burgess got 100% behind a turbo entry and if that did happen I would expect to see great results within months !

·
11,809 Posts
If a ROOTS blower car can do it a turbo car can, but you ain't catchin' no SCREW!:finga:;)

Frankie and da Sheikh will dip in the .50s this year. Count on it!

Dave, any word on Frankie or da Sheikh making Shakedown this year? Would be awesome to see them in the 1/8 mile challenge!

No word yet....still working on format.

·
Customer User Titty
3,394 Posts
Gonna be extremely tough for a turbo car to hang with the front of that field week after week. Not saying it's impossible, but they've got some work to do. Personett, Rabon, Jensen are all working with some of the best equipment as far as I'm concerned.

·
11,809 Posts
Gonna be extremely tough for a turbo car to hang with the front of that field week after week. Not saying it's impossible, but they've got some work to do. Personett, Rabon, Jensen are all working with some of the best equipment as far as I'm concerned.
I agree it will be tough and I agree those gentlemen have some of the best equipment. However I know all 3 of those great gentlemen and I know they don't have 20% of the budget that the top 20 pro mod teams have. Having an equal budget would allow for "More" great parts and lots more testing time. Lastly in my post i made it clear we would need atleast 2-4 well financed turbo teams because one "train of thought" can head in the wrong direction....if we had 4 well financed teams chances are one of those teams would head in successful direction and hopfully point the rest of those teams in same direction.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you or your business is interested in helping make Turbo Charged cars competitive in Pro Mod Racing please consider joining a turbo team.

Dave, I work for Tim McAmis, and I myself am a turbo guy, but I think im the only guy at the shop with that love.
I pray for the day that we get a customer that wants to build a turbo ride. I think Jensen is the only one out the sporting one of our chassis, and I don't think its one of our so called "Light weight" chassis.
I fully understand the money thing, and I fully commend you for staying with the turbo

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
It'll be a struggle for one reason. As soon as they hit the throttle blower cars have "instant power", turbo cars haven't. Turbo cars are 10 years behind the blower cars in development. We'll be working on the instant power problem when we get our car finished. As for well financed we're not,but we have some very clever people involved with our team.
I think it's unrealistic at this time to even begin to get a turbo car in ADRL to be competitive in proxtreme. Particularly as the blower cars can use nitro and nitrous!! Maybe give the turbo cars a head start..lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Craig,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. However, for the record our Pro Mod program is NOT competitive on any level at the moment.

Can it be done ? This is a question that "GREATLY" interests me. My "Feeling" is YES turbo charged cars can be competitive in Pro Extreme. Pro Extreme presents a much bigger challenge because the racing is run 1/8 mile as opposed to 1/4 mile where a turbo charged entry can make up some ground.

Facts to kick around....where do we (Turbo's) stand at this very moment ??? Lets start with "Known" performances (if my numbers are incorrect feel free to correct me)

Brad Personett has run 3.87 1/8 mile 5.86 1/4 mile
Spiro Pappas has run 3.88 1/8 mile on 10.5 tires
Andy Jensen has run 3.87 1/8 mile 5.91 1/4 mile
Coby Rabon has run 3.91 1/8 mile 5.96 1/4 mile

The factual numbers (based on known #'s) say Turbo's are.....

a) 7 hundreds behind "legal" roots bowers in the 1/4 mile
b) 13-18 hundreds behind Screw in 1/4 mile
c) 2-5 hundreds behind "legal" roots blown teams in 1/8 mile
d) a whoppin 24 hundreds behind Screw blower in 1/8 mile !

Once again can the Turbo close the "ET Gaps" above ? Yes they can but in "My" opinion it would take the following steps to make it happen. I'm quite sure i may be leaving something out and I would greatly appreciate any helpful feed back on this topic....

1) FUNDING: We need to have atleast 2-4 well financed Turbo Pro Mod teams in competition. Teams need funding to test...the costs associated with testing are huge ! Travel expense, flights, food, fuel, crew pay and having a stock of spare parts as well as parts to "try" runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Other than Spiro I'm not aware of a Turbo Team that has a big enough budget to get the job done. There are atleast 10-15 blown teams out there that have million dollar plus budgets and the benefits of those high budget programs filter down to other blower teams that have smaller budgets. Can you imagine what things would be like if we had 4 turbo teams with million dollar budgets ??? I think it would def help close the gap. Having a budget would allow turbo teams to :

a) purchase state of the art / light weight cars
b) bring in consultants for tuning and suspension issues
c) develope engine / power combinations....kinda like Brad Anderson & Alan Johnson have a base combo, in Nitrous you have Gene Fulton, Reher Morrision & Sonny's developing combos

d) Blower & Nitrous teams outspent $$ Turbo teams 10 fold...it gets worse because these same teams will "Continue" to outspend Turbo teams thus making it difficult if not impossible for Turbo's to catch up.

In closing can a TURBO powered door car run with Blown & Nitrous entries ???

The is Yes provided Turbo teams come up with the same $$$$ Funding the top 10 Blown & Nitrous teams have. It can also help the case if Turbo teams got together to "Compare Notes" on this subject but I understand that might be asking too much. Sadly we are at our Visa & Master Card limits which give us just enough to show up and attempt to qualify.

If you or your business is interested in helping make Turbo Charged cars competitive in Pro Mod Racing please consider joining a turbo team. It would be an awesome thing if Shiekh Khalid or Roger Burgess got 100% behind a turbo entry and if that did happen I would expect to see great results within months !
x2 best post u made in a while m8

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I spoke to Andy recently and the car has went an .85 but he said unless he can get it into the 70's he won't be at ADRL......he went the .85 @ Numidia so he is somewhat confident he can get it into the 70's. He said he was going to MIR last weekend to test but have not talked to him since.....

·
Customer User Titty
3,394 Posts
I agree it will be tough and I agree those gentlemen have some of the best equipment. However I know all 3 of those great gentlemen and I know they don't have 20% of the budget that the top 20 pro mod teams have. Having an equal budget would allow for "More" great parts and lots more testing time. Lastly in my post i made it clear we would need atleast 2-4 well financed turbo teams because one "train of thought" can head in the wrong direction....if we had 4 well financed teams chances are one of those teams would head in successful direction and hopfully point the rest of those teams in same direction.
100% agreement with you there :D

·
11,809 Posts
It'll be a struggle for one reason. As soon as they hit the throttle blower cars have "instant power", turbo cars haven't. Turbo cars are 10 years behind the blower cars in development. We'll be working on the instant power problem when we get our car finished. As for well financed we're not,but we have some very clever people involved with our team.
I think it's unrealistic at this time to even begin to get a turbo car in ADRL to be competitive in proxtreme. Particularly as the blower cars can use nitro and nitrous!! Maybe give the turbo cars a head start..lol
All due respect I disagree with your statements. Perhaps you mis understood
The question ?? Can a turbo compete in Pro Extreme ? If you answer yes or no
That would be fine but please give reasons for your answer.

Turbo cars have run 3.80's and 5.80's which is what blown cars where running
2 years ago so turbos are not 10 years behind.

If anything turbo programs are 10 million $$$ dollars behind in developement.

As for the "Instant" power statement......turbos can make as much power on trans
Brake or when clutch is pressed as blowers. That is not where turbos are
Lacking.

I want to VERY clear......at this moment Turbo Pro Mods are in place 3rd behind
Blowers and Nitrous cars. I won't argue that. I also want to make it clear if Turbo
Programs got some funding it would be curtains for all others !

1 - 20 of 155 Posts