Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the Tues Street tire T&T

Well I didn’t break anything which is a good thing. But I was pretty disgusted the car ran slow. The air was so bad last night it wasn’t even funny. You could just look in the air and see how thick it was. The air just looked very thick out and muggy. I was sweating up a storm sitting in the car. My first pass was my best pass of the night. Hardly anyone was there. I’d say about 25 cars tops. Noone was in the parking lot the place was dead. So when I paid to enter the lady said that we are shutting down early cause no one is here. I managed to get three passes in. I was about to do a 4th pass when the guy said we are closing.

1st pass

I get up in the water box go around the water then back into the water then pull forward to the edge of the water. I pump the brakes hit the line lock do my burnout and the car moves forward on me. The line lock was giving me trouble. I don’t know how to use it. Anyway my burnout basically sucked. Meanwhile the a**hole next to me who doesn’t have a clue what he is doing is up there staged before I was even prestaged. So that means I had to rush to get up their and stage before I got timed out. So I had to rush and I didn’t bring the rpm’s up like I wanted to next thing you know it the lights come down and I went red -0.48 spun the tires and went a 12.789 @ 105mph

2nd pass

Wasn’t any better. Same routine go around the water back into the water pump the brakes hit the line lock and punch the gas and the car starts moving again on me = poor burnout once again. Guess what the guy next to me had to be talking to the guy on the previous pass cause this retard was staged before I was even done with my burnout. I was so mad. So I had to rush again. I have no idea what I staged at cause every thing happened so fast. Anyway I fell asleep at the light .358 spun the tires worse 1.918 60’ ran [email protected] by this time the clouds were coming and lightning in the distance and the wind picked up big time on this pass I was driving thru a very strong headwind that was moving the car side to side I had to steer the car down the track on this pass.

3dr pass. Same thing as the other passes line lock didn’t want to work for me the car moved again = poor burnout. Same thing again some stupid kid already staged before I got up there. Very very strong headwind R/T .201 60’ 2.136 ran [email protected] mph

I still had fun I didn’t break anything and it gave me some practice for this Saturday bracket race. I may go again today if it doesn’t rain.

·
Registered
692 Posts
You don't need to hurry next time. The time out doesn't start until 3 bulbs are lit.

Are you running slicks or treaded tires?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have street slicks. M/T ET Street tires.

Yeah three bulbs were lit. Both his were lit before I even had my top bulbs lit. That happened everytime.

I need line Lock Help. How do I get the car to hold better?

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
you get alot of kids on test and tune nights at my track. i don't worry about their staging procedures. they never time me out, i just do my usual procedure. sometimes, i just wait and let the car in the other lane make a solo run, then pull up and make my run. it is kind of disorganized, but i'm used to it. so, are you saying if you don't hurry up and stage, that they will not let you make a pass?

·
In Glock I Trust
6,878 Posts
If some idiot pre-staged and staged before I could heat the tires, I would have done a long ass John Force burnout and let him sit there like a moron.:cool:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
when you get in the water put the car in neutral and pump the brakes 4 or 5 times and while still holding the pedal down set the line loc and it should hold.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was getting so mad that I thought I was going to be timed out. The other guy was staged.

I usually clear out the carb 3 times before I pre-stage. Then I Pre-stage Bring my RPM's up to 3000 rpm then bump in. I felt that I couldn't get that all done so I started rushing.

I'm going to try and go again tonight for slick night.

I need to practice with that line lock again. I don't think I was mashing the brake pedal hard enough. I don't have power brakes and I have drums all around

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had drums all the way around on my 69 chevy van and couldn't get the line lock to work either. Just power brake the car, thats what I ended up doing and worked great. Just adjusted the back brakes a couple times a year. Good luck tonight and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah and with only 25 cars showing up which is very poor car count it looked like they didn't care to prep the track or spary that glue stuff down.

They told me at the ticket booth that they were going to shut down early cause of poor car count. She said it's not worth turning the lights on they wouldn't make any money. WTF

I got there at 7:30 made my first pass 7:55 2nd 8:05 and third 8:17. You could have gone around and around if you wanted to. I even stoped for a break in between passes.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have street slicks. M/T ET Street tires.

Yeah three bulbs were lit. Both his were lit before I even had my top bulbs lit. That happened everytime.

I need line Lock Help. How do I get the car to hold better?

I'd try driving slowly through the water so the tires get wet all the way around. Just don't spin the tires in the puddle. Pull up to where the surface is wet but no puddle. I think with the drum brakes you're going to have to use a lot of brake pressure to get the car to hold. Make sure you have the line lock set before you release any brake pressure. Try to "burp" the throttle to get the tires spinning, don't just roll into it.
Just my .02

·
Registered
692 Posts
I told you, you don't need a line lock!

Don't know how I've won so many races, some much $ and a Wally without one, must just be lucky!:roll:

I think that's probably the difference. You have years of experience. Are you just rolling through and heating the tires while moving toward the starting line?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if it comes down to it this saturday I'm going to forget the line lock and go old school like I use to and mash the brake pedal and give it heck. I need to do a good burnout so I hook especially in a race. If I try to use the line lock and the car moves on me I might lose the round cause I spun the tires do to a poor burnout. I just need to get the hang of it. I've never used Line Lock before. Last night was the first time. I didn't even try it in a parking lot. I just went for it the first time out.

·
Registered
16,780 Posts
Agreed..............pump the brakes 4-5 times and hold to the floor before you hit the button. If the front drums aren't adjusted close enough then your probably causing some of your issue there. You're time limit will not start until you have lit one bulb so don't feel rushed, if anything, make the little prick wait longer! As Karl said you want to shock the tires loose in your burnout, so don't ease into the gas, stomp it to the floor then back it off once their spinning. I would be concerned about your 60 ft times. Once the lady told you they were closing early you pretty much knew there was not going to be any track prep. Keep at it! Did you find the source of your noise?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we think it's the rear-end gears. The alum DS is amplifying the sound. We called Inland and they said that this had happened before with other people. They want us to send the DS back and they are going to cut one end off and stuff foam in it then weld it back shut and rebalance it. That will absorb the noise. They are also going to give me a new slip yoke cause the one I have now is leaking a little.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ed you must be racing the uninformed and clue-less racers huh?

Like bagging them on the big end,hows the flat spots on the front tires? :p
:-hijack

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.