Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Smuck
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Cora was involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs. Cora participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players' conduct. I will withhold determining the appropriate level of discipline for Cora until after the DOI completes its investigation of the allegations that the Red Sox engaged in impermissible electronic sign stealing in 2018 while Cora was the manager."

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,868 Posts
That text you have in your post is from the commissioner's report. It reads as if you're the one saying it. ?‍♂ Might want to put quote tags around it, at least.

·
Smuck
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That text you have in your post is from the commissioner's report. It reads as if you're the one saying it. ?‍♂ Might want to put quote tags around it, at least.
Good point, fixed

I think he'll be banned for life from MLB (like Pete Rose).
What about the Houston Astro guys. Manager and GM I think got pinched also.
I think a lifetime ban is a little harsh, now if they were stealing signs and betting on the game, then yea, your out for life

Reactions: midnightbluS10

·
Erect Member
3,044 Posts
Well, Houston did win the series as a direct result of this, so yeah....ban.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
10,750 Posts
He'll get the same as the astro's.
The whole point of the signs, is to keep the other team in the dark, why is it shocking that the other team would try to find a way to see them?
Who's fault is it for not covering them enough to not let this happen.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
He'll get the same as the astro's.
The whole point of the signs, is to keep the other team in the dark, why is it shocking that the other team would try to find a way to see them?
I agree. Gaining a competitive advantage has been around forever, in industry, education and sports. Be ahead of it. Too many people have a, "gotcha mentality" and can't wait to be the one to break the news.

·
Registered
671 Posts
... The whole point of the signs, is to keep the other team in the dark, why is it shocking that the other team would try to find a way to see them?
The centerfield camera looks directly into the catcher. Hard to miss the signs. What’s different today is that the game is broadcast in real time into each teams dugout area as opposed to on a time delay that was used previously. This was done by MLB for the purpose of aiding both teams for instant replay challenges.

Stealing signs has been a time honored tradition in baseball. It’s been said the NY Giants stole the signs that led to Bobby Thompson’s “shot heard ‘round the world” ( “... THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT...!”) vs. the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1951 looking in from centerfield. The difference here is that MLB policies made it easy for teams inclined to cheat and MLB cannot be cast in that role. Integrity of the game and all that. Changes will be made for the upcoming season to be sure.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,868 Posts
I think he'll be banned for life from MLB (like Pete Rose).
NFL could take some notes here, if the MLB people do get banned for life. NFL obviously don't give a shit about the integrity of the game like MLB does.

They should've banned Belicheat and whoever was involved the first time it happened.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,868 Posts
The centerfield camera looks directly into the catcher. Hard to miss the signs. What’s different today is that the game is broadcast in real time into each teams dugout area as opposed to on a time delay that was used previously. This was done by MLB for the purpose of aiding both teams for instant replay challenges.

Stealing signs has been a time honored tradition in baseball. It’s been said the NY Giants stole the signs that led to Bobby Thompson’s “shot heard ‘round the world” ( “... THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT...!”) vs. the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1951 looking in from centerfield. The difference here is that MLB policies made it easy for teams inclined to cheat and MLB cannot be cast in that role. Integrity of the game and all that. Changes will be made for the upcoming season to be sure.
Yea but they weren't caught and they weren't using the replay system to do it after being told specifically by front offices of MLB that it was strictly forbidden and anyone caught would be punished severely.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
stealing signs has been going on since beginning of baseball.
MLB will demand a few people get hefty fines or fire a few people. to save face
what are they gonna do...take back world series rings, titles, pennants ? nope
next season it 'll be back to the same shit !!

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
10,750 Posts
NFL could take some notes here, if the MLB people do get banned for life. NFL obviously don't give a shit about the integrity of the game like MLB does.

They should've banned Belicheat and whoever was involved the first time it happened.
So you are ok with them banning all the coaching staff of every team. as.... THEY ALL DO IT.
Even your favorite team. Funny no one said boo, when the jets got caught, or the colts, etc. funny how that works.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yea but they weren't caught and they weren't using the replay system to do it after being told specifically by front offices of MLB that it was strictly forbidden and anyone caught would be punished severely.
Here is a CBS Sports link that explains the issue. What I gather from this report is that Houston installed a specific camera in Minute Maid Park for the purpose of stealing signs. The Red Sox used the instant replay feed for the same purpose.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Stealing them on the field is a whole different animal than using a camera to zoom in.

problem with stealing them this way is it makes the game a mess. Johnny bench said he’d hit .700 if he knew what pitch was coming. Makes that much difference to a big leaguer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts