Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a bit of a pinch I need to make a new downpipe, looked through all my bins and the only 4 bolt turbo discharge flange I have is made of cast steel, I am wanting to weld a 3" mild steel pipe to it. Is it worth even trying???

Its my only option to get the car going to get me to work otherwise I am left renting a car until a replacement arrives, no local options for the flange

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
since the flange is cast steel and not cast iron, would it weld to the steel pipe just like a normal steel flange would?

·
Registered
49,338 Posts
I can get you some really high quality welding rod for cast metals like steel and iron, kind of pricey but good shit, it is stick welding rod however.

·
internet thug
2,369 Posts
Just some general fyi if you don't know which material you're welding on, steel vs cast iron. you can spark test them. take a grinder to the material, steel throws off white sparks an cast iron generally throws off shorter reddish/orange sparks. Another method is chisel testing the material, take a sharp cold chisel to the material, steel will curl up in strips and iron usually comes off in chips/chunks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
fwiw I welded 1/8"mild steel plate to the bottom of a cast iron water crossover cut off of a old Dodge hemi timing/waterpump housing(vs fabbing custom crossover). Did it with a mig and common .030 wire(argon/co2 gas). Heated both pieces in gas grill at close to500 degrees for about 1/2 hr before welding. Kept heat on while welding alternating short beads then closed lid. slowly lowered temp till it was down to about 300 @ 1 hr later. Its been fine going on 3 years now.

(Grill I use is older model that has ceramic briquettes above burner. Takes longer to heat but holds heat very well.)

A DH2000 oxy/acetylene torch will work and high nickel rod isnt always mandatory. With the torch regular brazing rod can be adequate in some applications of iron to steel. There is also special heavy iron rod thats used with a flux that works very well.

Regardless of what you weld with if cast iron is involved pre-heating is needed and slow cooling even more important. Cool cast iron too fast and it will crack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts