Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a customer approach us about doing a welding hood a few months ago. We said sure, why not. Well, we finally got the mold work done and have now popped a couple of hoods out of the mold. This isn't something I think we'll sell a lot of, but if anyone wants one, we can make them for you. They weigh under 8 ounces for just the shell, no headgear and no lenses. But it should make for an overall lighter helmet than what guys usually use. And so far, initial testing has shown the gel coat and resin to be very impervious to heat and sparks, hopefully making it a helmet that will last longer than the average helmet.

Either design would be $200 for just the shell, $250 for the helmet with headgear and drop-down lens.

Plain Weave Design

Twill Weave Design

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
Thats cool as shit man.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a more stylish hood , like a speedglas 9100 helmet please !!

Just looked that helmet up. Dang, those are pricey. I'm not a welder and barely know the basics, so what is it that makes that a better hood? I like improving on good designs, but I really like improving on GREAT designs. Is the value of such an expensive hood all in the lens, or is it also a far better hood itself?

·
Unbanned
20,478 Posts
the speedglas helmet would be a pain to make with its 2 piece front design.

Light helmet by original design. Like the headgear on the 9100.

but if you end up doing a Speedglas design, then im in.:)

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, there you go trying to put Greg out of business. The boy is on microwave meals as it is....
Haha, that isn't going to put me out of business. I really don't want to be building welding hoods for a living. It's fun to occasionally do a quirky little project that's a break from the norm. But if someone called up to order 100 hoods, I would very reluctantly take the order.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I want a glow in the dark hard hat, lineman's style with 360 deg brim! I'll be in on a helmet to if you do the bigger lens.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
the speedglas helmet would be a pain to make with its 2 piece front design.

Light helmet by original design. Like the headgear on the 9100.

but if you end up doing a Speedglas design, then im in.:)
I own three of these hood and in my company alone we got fifty of them between all us guys.
Great hoods.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I won't be making any new designs of welding hoods or hard hats. The first design that we did had all kinds of interest and plenty of people say they wanted them. But almost no one actually called and bought them. It was just a fun project. Maybe one day, but I would have to be REALLY bored.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.