Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
winners circle
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new welding helment.Whats a good one for tig welding and mig welding.Thanks

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,392 Posts
I got a Speedglass helmet with the dual ranges... works real nice on everything from tig to stick....

Feels a bit flimsey, but you get used to it....

Vanilla

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Try to find one that fits really tight to your head. Lots of overhang gets to be a giant PITA when you are trying to see something thats way up in there.

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,392 Posts
The only thing I dont like about the Speedglass is the clear lenses dont last very long if your stick welding. They seem a bit soft.

Vanilla

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Miller Elite here , kickass helmet , lots of settings , has a grind mode on it as well , bad thing is you have to take the helmet off to set it but other then that it works great , i also love the fact you can adjust the sensitivity of the tint , i was welding out side and it would tint , i turned down the sensitivity so it would tint only when i stuck an arch . i have a ESAB as well and since buying the Miller it collects dust hangin on the wall . Optrel has a really helmet as well but it,s $600+ and cover lenses are alot more expensive and harder to find around here as well .

·
winners circle
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a Speedglass helmet with the dual ranges... works real nice on everything from tig to stick....

Feels a bit flimsey, but you get used to it....

Vanilla
Hey Vanilla what series is your helmet ? i see speedglass has different ones.

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,392 Posts
Hey Vanilla what series is your helmet ? i see speedglass has different ones.

Mine is an older model... lemme look it up

Im thinkin its a 9000XF... I'll look tomorrow at work...

It has an adjustment that goes from 9-13 for MIG and Stick and an adjustment that goes from 9-13 for TIG that uses the sensitivity

I have a couple other std lense hoods that just collect dust now...

Vanilla

·
winners circle
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Vanilla.i hear good things about speedglas and the miller but i might go with the speedglas one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
another vote for speedglas. Been using it going on 6 years now. It's not pretty any more, but all i've had to do is replace the batteries and the outer shield.

Multi range with sensitivity adjustment, and the larger viewing area shade. I think it was in the $300 range when i bought it.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
As much as I hate the chineese crap and giving money to china, I use the adjustable harbor freight one. I have tigged all day and never got the "itchy eye" so it must be working. I have two, one for mig and one for tig that stays clean of spatter. Can't beat the 60.00 price tag. Maybe someday a name brand one, but for now 60 bucks is 60 bucks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree with JCRVETTE he stated exactly what I was going to say. I recently broke my helmet and went to northern tool and picked up their cheapest one. It works AMAZING! tig/mig doesn't matter. It's solar powered also so you don't have to turn it on/off or deal with batteries. I know that sounds petty but to me it's a hastle.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311850_200311850

Stickers come right off. Always in stock. Hard to beat.

·
T/S 368E
33,610 Posts

No expert & very novice welder. My Jackson professional works perfect with my Tig.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I have a Miller Performance Series, its my first auto-dark helmet. Its very light weight compared to my old fixed shade helmet. I like it overall, but it'll flash me once and while on the first weld of the day. Pisses me off. If I push the rest button before starting welding then it doesn't do it.

Craig

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I used $450 miller helmets at work and I prefer my $100 hobart from tractor supply over them. Its solar powered and simple to use. Only issue I hate is the light sensors are only on the bottom of the shield so you can count on getting blinded a couple of times when welding in a cage.

Whatever you do make sure your helmet has sensors on top and bottom of the screen.

Jason

·
Registered
736 Posts
i have one of those harbor freight "specials" what a POS, doesn't stay up when you flip it, small viewing area, auto dark works marginally... just don't have the budget for a "good helmet", going to try the Clark at Menards next... about 50.00 auto dark, large (I think 4x5) viewing area, padded forehead pad we'll see i guess. Now if I could just learn to weld i'd be alright LOL
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts