Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine who welded in the frame connecters is on the first stage of welding in the cage and I don't think it will pass unless he gets his act together. He claims his eyes are getting bad and having a hard time seeing!!! I have a hard time posting pic's on here but I took a few and I'm going to try here in a few. Shit I might try to weld the damn thing myself.. I'm thinking I can't do any worse than what I see from him. To much stopping and restarting on his welds. I'll try to post a pic.

·
Registered
886 Posts
He claims his eyes are getting bad and having a hard time seeing!!!
You can buy a magnifier insert for the welding helmet. My welds started to suffer and I realized I couldn't see what the hell I was doing, picked up a magnifier insert and we're back!

·
Registered
16,579 Posts
Got one in my mask.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I tried one in my auto-dark hood....I couldn't see shit with it. My eyes might be past help, or maybe I had in backwards..who knows.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
I wear my regular glasses plus a 2x magnifier lense. Also plenty of light. Not a pro by any means.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
A buddy of mine who welded in the frame connecters is on the first stage of welding in the cage and I don't think it will pass unless he gets his act together. He claims his eyes are getting bad and having a hard time seeing!!! I have a hard time posting pic's on here but I took a few and I'm going to try here in a few. Shit I might try to weld the damn thing myself.. I'm thinking I can't do any worse than what I see from him. To much stopping and restarting on his welds. I'll try to post a pic.
Is he MIG welding a mild steel cage or TIG welding moly?
Figure out how to post pics so we can see.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wear my regular glasses plus a 2x magnifier lense. Also plenty of light. Not a pro by any means.
Where can you buy this cheater at. Can you grind out and re-weld? My understanding is you can but not on the final finish?

·
Registered
16,579 Posts
Final pass? Who needs two passes to mig weld an ms cage? I think you may need to rethink your choice of welders........friend or not. You may need a lense for tig welding, but certainly not for mig welding...............unless your Stevie friggin Wonder welder.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You may need a lense for tig welding, but certainly not for mig welding.
Bullshit. If you can't see you can't weld, Mig or Tig. I now use my readers and the magnifier lens, and also plenty of light as previously mentioned. Sometimes a Milwaukee shop flashlight and sometimes a halogen, you gotta see it to weld it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Took it out of car. Main hoop and roof hoop.. Can't be saved so I ordered those two items. Once I get them I'll cut them and notch them and tack all together and start asking around for someone in Columbus Ohio that can weld a fucking cage in. Almost cost me the same price for those two items as it did for the whole damn cage. Should have been done and starting on blocking the car. Fuck me running!! Lucky that's as far as we got..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Another question is what size wire do most of you all use? My buddy was using 35 this is for mild steel. Watched a video from miller and they used 30 wire!! Just wondering?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd be really interested to see how bad those welds look. I'm currently in the process of redoing a bunch of my cage so I can get an 8.50 cert. I consider myself an ok welder but have difficulty transitioning from one side of the bar to the other. Would any of you guys be willing to share pics of your welds that passed the test. I apologize to the OP for highjacking but I think we are interested in the same thing. If not its ok to tell me to get the cactus, oh wait we don't have those in Wisconsin.

·
TEAM CARB
45,418 Posts
I'd be really interested to see how bad those welds look. I'm currently in the process of redoing a bunch of my cage so I can get an 8.50 cert. I consider myself an ok welder but have difficulty transitioning from one side of the bar to the other. Would any of you guys be willing to share pics of your welds that passed the test. I apologize to the OP for highjacking but I think we are interested in the same thing. If not its ok to tell me to get the cactus, oh wait we don't have those in Wisconsin.
Native WI cactus

1 - 20 of 75 Posts