Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been tig welding for a few years, self taught. When bench welding my welds look very nice. In the car, hard to reach spots still never look as nice as some on this site.

Question:

I have Miller 180 SD with a WP24 and WP17. When welding CM tubing whether I use the small torch with 1/16 tung or the big torch with 3/32 tung the bead width is always the same around 3/16 (.187) I use 1/16 rod and no matter what I do the width is the same....any ideas I can try. Im also considering the WP9, the WP17 is very bulky

Thanks

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
you want a smaller bead? out of position with not so perfect fitup is never going to allow a nice tight flat position bead. With LOTS of time and perfect fit you can though.

·
aka Nova Joe
2,891 Posts
Get rid of that bulky torch..WP9 flex head for starters, with 1/16 tungsten. Use a short/flat back cap and a small cone (~#5)...This is what I use and I can get in almost anywhere on a racecar. As far as weld appearance/quality in tight places, well, that's just practice more than anything:p...I've found that setting the amperage no higher than you have to really helps..

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
3/16" may be slightly big, but dont try for the tiny welds you see some shops doing. Those tiny beads, could have just been fused with the same strength factor. Try for 1/8" or so. As mentioned, the big torches are a PITA...invest in a smaller one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I use this weldcraft torch SF-225 Modular Flex Head but it is water cooled it has different heads you can use check it out.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
go to arczone and order a wp9 head and gaslense and some smaller cups i did a few months back $$$ well spent , the hose is the same size as the wp 17 you slide the handle down , use two 7/16" wrenches undo the fitting and attach the new head , i swap back and forth between my wp 17 and the wp 9 , the bigger torch is nice for higher amp stuff , but 90% of the time the wp9 is more then enough

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use my #17 torch for anything out of the car and the #9 for anything in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts