Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been welding for years now, but I just cant get the edlebrock intank to weld. I'm adding a second set of injectors and it keeps blowing up at the weld. I thought maybe the cast intake was the problem but the FAST injector bung is acting like its just as contaminated. I have tried 3 times, I polish with a rotary scrotchbrite pad, use a stainles brush next then I clean with acetone. Inatake metal is smooth and shiney and I clean the injector bung with just a stainless brush then with acetone.

I run a Lincoln 175pro at home with a 1/8" pure tungsten rod. 12-15 psi on the regulator- 135 amps.

It acts like there is so much dirt it turns black amost instantly and wont produce a puddle. The last time I tried I pre-heated the area just to where it was too hot to touch. Still the same result.

Any ideas? I cant post pics yet or I would have an example of one of the welds.

I have welded a lot of thin sheet metal, nothing over 16ga. The intake is almost 1/4" thick in some areas. I cant imagine thats too much for this machine.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Are you using AC?

Sounds like you're trying to weld aluminum with DC. Some cast parts are difficult to weld but with that much prep and a little preheat you should be able to at least puddle.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,587 Posts
What size gas lens? What gas? Also what are you welding on (Ac? dc?)?

Shannon

·
Head Phuckstick
18,587 Posts
Also you want to ball the end of the tungsten but you already knew that.

Shannon

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like a gas flow issue. Turn the balance towards cleaning, lightly pedal it until it cleans up and pushes all of the black crap out of the area. It will also pre-heat a bit to make the thick cast easier to weld.

Good luck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its 4043 filler, machine is set to AC. The 175 pro I have doesnt allow me to adjust from cleaning to pentration like our 250 syncrowave does. I may have to take it to work and try it on there.

Pisses me off that it wont even puddle up. I turned the welder up to 150 amps but the 1/8" tungsten just melts away. Kinda weird, I'm beginning to think I have a problem with my welder on AC.

Last night I was welding up my mild steel turbo headers. I could see the arc floating around the electrode causing it to jump from one side of the seam to the other. I kept trying to keep the weld smooth and even but I had to chase it for some reason. So I swapped out my torch head with my spare and it worked fine after that.

Maybe I have a bad connection somewhere causing the AC to fuck up as well.

I ball my tungsten on a copper plate before use. Most times I break off the end if it touches the base metal and start over.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,587 Posts
Try turning up the gas flow. When I was welding aluminum at the school I ran around 25. also I ran 130 amps when welding 1/4" pipe just to get it to puddle. I wish I could help more man. Good luck

Shannon

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have the same machine and I have to run it maxed out for 1/4 alum the mach to me is to small for 1/4 unless you preheat can you weld on a scrap piece of alum what happens there

·
Registered
79 Posts
better yet tickle 8cfh of helium into the gas like using another small tank and regulater it will burn much hotter sometimes not needing to preheat as much on a machine as yours you are gonna have to pin the machine to get the puddle started also check the voltage coming out of the wall and compare it against your machines requirements even 5 volts less out of the wall will have a big impact on how the machine opeartes at higher voltages...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
It could be the manifold is made of real bad aluminum or it has a bunch of oil and or contaminants in the aluminum itself. When I have welded Harley gear cases the shit comes out of the pores bad, so on small stuff I would boil the part in water first. It may not be your problem. You sound like you know what you are doing but I would set the machine as high as you can and just use the pedal lightly. Just my 2 cents.

Rick

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a similar thing wrong with my Lincoln 225.Took it to the shop and was told there was nothing wrong with it.Turns out I had a bad tank of argon.Swapped that out and its good to go.But I would turn your gas flow up some too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
clean,clean,clean, get a temp stick! preheat to 300 deg, you need to be flowing 20-25, straight argon, should be fine, I do it all the time! are you cleaning yer filler Rod also? is yer high freq, set on continuse? If you have it preheated to 300 deg, 130-140 amps, should be fine. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I had a similar thing wrong with my Lincoln 225.Took it to the shop and was told there was nothing wrong with it.Turns out I had a bad tank of argon.Swapped that out and its good to go.But I would turn your gas flow up some too.
I have had a bad tank of argon before. Same thing. You need to test on another piece of aluminum to see if it does the same thing. If it does it is either your argon tank or your welder isn't working right or set right. Just my 2 cents.

Rick

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I had trouble a while ago with my TIG. It would weld a bit and then go for crap.. I tried all kinds of different things, only later to find out the cable/hose for the argon was damaged inside, blocking off gas flow when the torch was turned a bit

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

I have gotten bad tank of gas also. When I first got the tank I was welding mild steel. Welds looked a little crappy and I thought it was just me. Went to do some aluminum and had that black shit popping up here and there. I could be laying a beautiful bead and all of a sudden I get splatter and black shit. I thought I had let the tip touch the pool. Cleaned everything up, try again and same problem.

Called the gas shop and they said they get a bad tank every once in a while. They gave me a new one and problem went away. Similar thing happened to my friend when he purchased a new welder. He was convinced his new machine was junk until he switched tanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was using a #6 cup, switched to a #7, turned my gas up to 25, still the same thing. My machine doesnt allow me to change the teh high freq setting. I'm at the bottom 25% of the tank, I'll try another tank but I'm leaning towards something being wrong with the machine.
Thanks for all of the comments. Just curious if anyone had this much trouble welding cast intakes?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts