Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it best to tig or use mig on Strange housing ends. I think that tig is the way to go but others say mig. Lets hear what you think and why? Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Tig, better controll of heat and better welds.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You know i was wondering about this too,
i just got my M9 from moser and EVERYTHING was MIG welded except the back brace and the fill and drain plugs. Why is that? I would think on a fabricated rear it would ALL be TIG'd????

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Either will work fine. I will say that I have seen more MIG welded housing ends leak due to cold lap of the welds at the tie in point than those that are TIG welded. At the same time, I routinely see TIG welded housing ends that are concave/undercut.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mass produced housings are usually migged for the speed of that process. Custom built housings are typically tigged for the strength and appearance.
As far as the Moser housing it would be interesting to know where it is actually produced, many products with a company's name is actually produced by what the consumer thinks of as their competition.
Carl

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
yea i figured they did it that way because its faster- it is a shame considering the cost is much more for a fabricated housing =(

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Either will work fine. I will say that I have seen more MIG welded housing ends leak due to cold lap of the welds at the tie in point than those that are TIG welded. At the same time, I routinely see TIG welded housing ends that are concave/undercut.

I agree, the sad part is that the consumer thinks that the undercut weld is actually a 'better' weld than one with proper fillet. I have repaired rear ends with bracketry torn loose (from end of the track braking) that were undercut and no filler rod used. The leading edge of the undercut is the same principle used on a 'pop-top' on a beer can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts