Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im starting my turbo kit, and wondering if i can (TAC) my hot side with a mig setup for MS, and then have it welded and back purged with a tig that is setup for stainless??
or do i have to TAC it with something setup for stainless??

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I would not try to mix filler metals, could cause problems down the road. Buy a spool of stainless and build a back purge, you don't need much to have it look nice.
Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no stick welder, it is a mig, with a unimix ... what wire and gas will i need to do the stainless

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
you can use 308 wire. I think you have to use 100% argon when welding 304 to 304. (not sure on the gas)

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Stainless & a stainless mix. your local welding store should have both. Mine did. that is how I made mine. tacked them together & took them to my buddy & he did all the finish welding.

Bob

·
Registered
16,536 Posts
As said above, stainless requires its own gas. With the cost of all of your materials and time, don't cheap out now...........do it right........the first time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our welding procedures for stainless wire allow 100% co2 or 75% argon 25% co2. Tig is 100% argon. Oops forgot that was SST fluxcore. Your welding supplier can tell you the proper wire and gas combo.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Our welding procedures for stainless wire allow 100% co2 or 75% argon 25% co2. Tig is 100% argon. Oops forgot that was SST fluxcore. Your welding supplier can tell you the proper wire and gas combo.

thanks for the correction. Got a little mixed up, we only use 75/25 when welding disimilar metals.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pure Argon here with the Tig welder, 308 rod for 304 to 304, pure argon for back purge (little bleed, it doesn't need much)... I've had good luck with 3M tape holding each bend together when tacking.. just be careful you don't melt it.....

PS. clean the piping with Acetone.

Kris

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Not trying to step on toes, or sound like I am talking down, but if you do not weld SS, then you should not be fitting it either. 99% of the work is fitting it, if done correctly. If it is fit correctly, then the welding is very quick, easy, and turns out beautifully. The other side is that it needs to be welded in order so the welder can get to everything. If it is not done correctly, then the welding becomes the majority of the work. I understand what it is like to have to work with in budget, but you should save up some more cash, and take it to someone in your area that is competent and have them do the whole job. The job will turn out 100% better, unless you are some one that can fit tubing so there is 0 gap, and have everything deburr'd.

·
Registered
16,536 Posts
I'll weld that stuff................by the hour!

·
Registered
119 Posts
We do a ton of stainless welding and by far the best gas to use is 95% argon and 5% OXYGEN. It is a little pricey but the results will more than make it worth it. It is an extremely hot gas and I suggest experimenting with your welder settings before you start. We have a dedicated stainless machine and the heat settings are way different than standard steel settings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts