Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This head was on an engine that broke a rod, chamber was damaged. Head was repaired but now I have "milk" in the valve covers.

Do we know of any chemical treatment that might seal it? Engine is still together and runs fine so I thought I could at least attempt a fix before tear down and redo.

I have a Scotty School race date in three weeks so it's a chemical fix or miss the school.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Larry. I, as did many other back in the early 70's that run gm casting heads always had milk in the oil. I used sodium silicate (liquid glass) or as the old farmers called it EGG PRESERVER. This can be obtained at old time drug stores and more that likely they will have to order it last time I bought it was around $6. for a quart jar. get the engine warm and add about 1/2 of the jar let run and circulate. I had a friend that used this in a bull dozer with a cracked head for years. Good luck .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Larry. I, as did many other back in the early 70's that run gm casting heads always had milk in the oil. I used sodium silicate (liquid glass) or as the old farmers called it EGG PRESERVER. This can be obtained at old time drug stores and more that likely they will have to order it last time I bought it was around $6. for a quart jar. get the engine warm and add about 1/2 of the jar let run and circulate. I had a friend that used this in a bull dozer with a cracked head for years. Good luck .
X2 I have always known it to be called clear glass.It does work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The news is good. I pulled the spark plugs and all look fine. Then used shop air in each cylinder checking for bubbles in the radiator, no problem.

The drained oil looks fine. Looks like simply a case of condensation. As Little Wheel suggested I will use the GM "tabs" for insurance.

Also, this is a new Dart Little M block with blind holes.

I was concerned about a pin hole in the welded head but looks like that concern was unfounded.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts