Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you weld to a cast aluminum valve cover? thanks john

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
Clean it well.
Just a heads up- It's been found that using Brake cleaner, then welding aluminum with a tig can create very deadly fumes. There was a thread posting a few months ago that covers this topic too.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Clean it well.
Just a heads up- It's been found that using Brake cleaner, then welding aluminum with a tig can create very deadly fumes. There was a thread posting a few months ago that covers this topic too.
one of the few "50 state" product i prefer, you can keep that old school brakekleen, I got a can of it from florida and only used it once, only can of brakekleen that doesnt seem to go faster than the beer

I'm a novice aluminum welder, so right or wrong, when welding used cast aluminum (valve covers or intakes)I heat it with a torch and "burn" the oil out of it, makes it easier to weld with my 185 tig too

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys john

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Yes you can weld on them. Are you adding a fitting or are you fixing a crack? If adding a fitting just weld it up. If you have a crack then you might have a problem as some castings have tension in them and the crack seems to come right back when it cools. it can be a pita.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im adding a take off for vacuum gauge and oil fill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts