Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Monty if you could make this into a sticky that would be great.

There is a GREAT deal of confusion on the Cam Master Jay name I use. Some feel as though I made it up and I am just *tooting* my own horn. That's funny. Others take it for what it actually is. A hook. A jingle. Name recognition.

In a brief nutshell, here is the story.......

I graduated from Eastern Michigan University in 1985. I graduated with a degree in Communications. I *had* a Physics major going and I chaged my mind late in my junior year/early senior year. My brother was in band (as he still is today). I ran sound for the band and I DJ'ed music on the band's breaks. Eventually I had my own mobile DJ business. I had aspirations of being on the radio. Hmmm.......Radio, DJ business, ah hell, I need a degree in Communications! One of the dumbest things I have ever done, consciencely. I did have all of my prerequisites completed in physics. I have thought about going back to school.......

Anyways.

Well because radio DJ's make so much money (LOL) I realized that being a radio jock was not where I wanted to go. Typical 22 year old decision. Now as I DJ'ed through the 1980's & 1990's obviously everyone has heard of the late "Jam Master Jay" from Run DMC. Yes I had Technics 1200's. Yes I scratched and beat mixed. I DJ'ed for years as the house DJ at 2 clubs here in Ann Arbor (Dooley's and the Nectarine Ballroom) as well. All of my friends used to say that it was unfortunate that the DJ name "Jam Master Jay" was already taken.

And that was how I made a living through the 1980's. All the while working on car junk. Fast forward.......

I have continued to DJ through the years (and still today) because it is a hobby that makes money vs a car hobby that breaks you. I was working for Canfield back in 2000. I was designing camshafts publically and selling camshafts locally. A good friend of mine (whom I met through DJ'ing) was building up his first Mustang. His name is Ray McKenzie. Again a fellow DJ. As I was helping him install the camshaft in his rig, he blurted out something to the effect of, "You are no longer *Jam Master Jay*, you are *Cam Master Jay*". It is a hook. A jingle if you will. I use it because of that.

I am very excited about the oppurtunity to be here at YellowBullet.com. I welcome any and all questions. I'll try to do my best to answer the questions in a manner that all can understand. But I am direct. I am honest. Ask away, but be ready for the answer!

Thanks To Yellow Bullet.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad to see you here Jay, even out here in western Can. a few of us know of you. I heard of you from Marv Davis and a friend I told has been talking with you and said he's getting a cam from you. Too late for me on this build since Marv gave me a great deal on one he had but maybe next time around.

·
Super Moderator
35,272 Posts
Jay that is hilarious about Nectarine Ballroom... I used to hang out there back in oooohhhh... 1989-90.... (non gay night)...LOL... used to be a great dance bar/club....

Dooleys was a little less of a club if I remember right... and was around the corner? Man this is WAAAY back for me we're talkin 16-17 years ago.

As for Jays credentials... apparently he is very humble. He has a pretty good resume.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Welcome, Jay....

How did you go from a dj to working at canfield????

Keith

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Welcome Jay. I've never worked with you, but this year I'm going be giving you a call.

Dennis

·
102,312 Posts
Uh oh Jay with his own house and his own rules look out :D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
What's got me in stitches is the idea of Chris being a Club Kid back in the day. Can't imagine it Chris!!! LOL!!!!!

Next meeting I'm going to get some cardboard out 'cuz I want to see you throw down & break!! :smt005

·
Registered
726 Posts
ROB said:
What's got me in stitches is the idea of Chris being a Club Kid back in the day. Can't imagine it Chris!!! LOL!!!!!

Next meeting I'm going to get some cardboard out 'cuz I want to see you throw down & break!! :smt005
ROTFLMMFAO!!!

If I close my eyes I can just imagine Chris bustin out with some Prince, "We're gonna party like its 1999"

Then beat mix in.......

Michael Jackson's
"Billie Jean is not my lover, she's just a girl, says I am the ONE!

I'm out. Southbound and down.......

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
As long as Chris doesn't go around with one white cotton glove on screaming "beat It!" we're probably all safe. :smt005

·
Registered
726 Posts
ROB said:
As long as Chris doesn't go around with one white cotton glove on screaming "beat It!" we're probably all safe. :smt005
Does that mean that he already did? :shock:

Chris, I have some sheetmetal for you that you requested. I had it the other night on our clandestine rendevous, but I forget to hand over the good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts