Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last night, we’re downstairs listening to music. Normally we can’t hear much but there was a huge boom that we felt in the house. By the time we got upstairs to go out and see if we could see anything, all the neighbors were also out. About an hour later, the police released a statement that they had detonated a “pipe bomb” and that it was urgent so there was no time to issue a warning.

This was a huge explosion though. We’ve found out it was heard miles away, in downtown Frederick and another community equally far in the other direction. The police are refusing to comment other than that brief statement they made. They said the device was found in a neighborhood near an elementary school. I’m curious if there’s going to be any more news on this. I find it hard to believe a pipe bomb can literally shake our house from almost a mile away.

·
Registered
23,686 Posts
Probably used a LB or so of C-4, or something like that, to blow up a 8 ounce pipe bomb.

What shook your neighborhood was most likely what they used to blow it up.

Probably a wee bit of "overkill" .

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
I heard it to, I thought there were 2, but maybe like a back beat. I usually think its
one of my trees falling, lol, or thunder, since they claimed it was going to rain.
Interesting, I didn't see anything on the news, their to busy making up something
to hang Trump on.
I wonder where it was.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,041 Posts
I'm pretty sure they set up explosives to destroy those sorts of things. They don't just detonate the device. So what you heard likely wasn't just the pipe bomb.

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I heard it to, I thought there were 2, but maybe like a back beat. I usually think its
one of my trees falling, lol, or thunder, since they claimed it was going to rain.
Interesting, I didn't see anything on the news, their to busy making up something
to hang Trump on.
I wonder where it was.
Here’s the only thing I’ve been able to find about it.

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/crime_and_justice/cops_and_crime/pipe-bomb-safely-detonated-in-lake-linganore/article_902bda3f-19e4-5b4f-b450-1114cc014a7b.html

You’re in Woodbine? Damn, that’s a good ways off.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Probably used a LB or so of C-4, or something like that, to blow up a 8 ounce pipe bomb.

What shook your neighborhood was most likely what they used to blow it up.

Probably a wee bit of "overkill" .
that was my thinking too

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
One of my elementary school friends dad was a brass music teacher. He had a scrap barrel filled with old trumpets etc.
He donated one to me and I kept it for years.
We'd put firecrackers in the horn end making for a directed and intense sound.

I found a trick: take one Piston/valve out and its shaft/button, stick in the slide chamber 2-4 dud firecrackers. Add one good firecracker with the fuse at what was the finger/shaft opening.
Never once had duds that failed to not to blow when encased with the one good cracker. Made a real high boom. Never ruptured any of the brass.

If you notice firecrackers are also called flash crackers. I believe the pressurized flame front gets forced into the duds guts detonating them.
The bomb squad likely used that same principal with the BIG explosion you heard

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
So last night, we’re downstairs listening to music. Normally we can’t hear much but there was a huge boom that we felt in the house. By the time we got upstairs to go out and see if we could see anything, all the neighbors were also out. About an hour later, the police released a statement that they had detonated a “pipe bomb” and that it was urgent so there was no time to issue a warning.

This was a huge explosion though. We’ve found out it was heard miles away, in downtown Frederick and another community equally far in the other direction. The police are refusing to comment other than that brief statement they made. They said the device was found in a neighborhood near an elementary school. I’m curious if there’s going to be any more news on this. I find it hard to believe a pipe bomb can literally shake our house from almost a mile away.
I was in your neck of the woods not long ago for training.
I stayed in Frederic and the class was in Walkersville.
There is a lot of secret squirrel shit up in that area.

·
Got Woodgrain?
7,333 Posts

I live in Walkersville.

I am not a squirrel.

·
Señor Member
31,486 Posts
One of my elementary school friends dad was a brass music teacher. He had a scrap barrel filled with old trumpets etc.
He donated one to me and I kept it for years.
We'd put firecrackers in the horn end making for a directed and intense sound.

I found a trick: take one Piston/valve out and its shaft/button, stick in the slide chamber 2-4 dud firecrackers. Add one good firecracker with the fuse at what was the finger/shaft opening.
Never once had duds that failed to not to blow when encased with the one good cracker. Made a real high boom. Never ruptured any of the brass.

If you notice firecrackers are also called flash crackers. I believe the pressurized flame front gets forced into the duds guts detonating them.
The bomb squad likely used that same principal with the BIG explosion you heard

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
They used to fly over my house going to Camp David, don't seem to do it much the
past few years. There were designated emg. landing spots if needed.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
As said it was the charge used to detonate/destroy the device.

With a pipe bomb, they have to use enough explosive to ensure the container is completely destroyed.

If they just detonated the bomb and the bomb was not well made it could blow off one end, and shoot a 1/4 mile and kill someone.

·
Registered
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:smt026

:smt044

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Kind of amusing, presumably black iron?

Bucket holding six pipe bombs found in Frederick County. According to Maryland State Fire Marshal the devices were old and rusty. Investigators believe they were left behind years ago by a now deceased suspect in a decades old murder case in Howard County.

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
Howard Co police putout blip on it, app. from an old stalking case-guy killed himself years
ago.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,041 Posts
Jeez!

More details on this bizarre case: The 6 pipe bombs found in Frederick have been linked to Alan Chmurney. He was a chemist who committed suicide by taking cyanide moments after being found guilty of assault in 2001 for putting mercury in the vents of a woman's car.
@ABC7News
He was found guilty of assault. Probably didn't even get any real jail time. What a bitch!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts