Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a while. I hope everyone is staying safe. I am looking at putting a new head on SBC 427 and seriously considering Eric Weingartner's 242 or 248 Brodix Dragonslayer. Here are the details:

Flat top piston 11.8 comp with 63cc combustion chamber
Cam on 110 @.050 280int 280ext .700 lift w/1.6 rocker .656 ex w/1.5 rocker
Will need standard valve spacing
Little M Block billet cap splayed bolt
Callies Magnum Crank
Eagle H beam Rods
JE pistons.

What are your thoughts on those heads and have any of you used his heads? Love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If I was starting from scratch and needed standard valve spacing, I would go with Eric in a heartbeat. He has made good power with the Dragonslayer casting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on Chris Speier and his V2.7AD head?? Just got off the phone with him and this is the head he recommended

·
Registered
748 Posts
Haven't posted in a while. I hope everyone is staying safe. I am looking at putting a new head on SBC 427 and seriously considering Eric Weingartner's 242 or 248 Brodix Dragonslayer. Here are the details:

Callies Magnum Crank
Eagle H beam Rods
JE pistons.

What are your thoughts on those heads and have any of you used his heads? Love to hear your thoughts.
Duration at .050 is?

·
Registered
548 Posts

Callies Magnum Crank
Eagle H beam Rods
JE pistons.

I've been considering those same two head choices for my next build.

A word of warning for you... make sure and check the valve pocket sizes in your pistons to make sure they'll fit the larger intake valves. I've been doing a ton of research before ordering parts for my build. Don't want to waste money on parts that won't work together.

The JE pistons I want to run have a large enough valve pocket to fit the large intake valve used in his 248 head. If you have the part number to piston you have you can call JE and find out the diameter of the valve pocket.

I'm still torn on trying to decide if it's worth the extra cash for the shaft mount rocker setup to use the 248 version of the head. I'm not building for max power... just a bracket/index racer here, but I'll probably step up to the bigger head that requires the shaft mounted rockers.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,062 Posts

Callies Magnum Crank
Eagle H beam Rods
JE pistons.

Have worked with Eric on some of his builds and his customers seem very happy with his work he knows what works and the best thing about Eric his work is all done in house as where Chad farms out all his CNC work and I have seen the cons of that.

If your using Eagle rods with a 4.000 stroke you may want to thank about that as those rods from Eagle will come with one side of the cut right into the rod bolts on the cam side of the rods. You may want to look into the Callies Ultra -HD rods they give you a lot of extra cam to rod clearance.

Good luck which ever way you go.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I've been considering those same two head choices for my next build.

A word of warning for you... make sure and check the valve pocket sizes in your pistons to make sure they'll fit the larger intake valves. I've been doing a ton of research before ordering parts for my build. Don't want to waste money on parts that won't work together.

The JE pistons I want to run have a large enough valve pocket to fit the large intake valve used in his 248 head. If you have the part number to piston you have you can call JE and find out the diameter of the valve pocket.

I'm still torn on trying to decide if it's worth the extra cash for the shaft mount rocker setup to use the 248 version of the head. I'm not building for max power... just a bracket/index racer here, but I'll probably step up to the bigger head that requires the shaft mounted rockers.

Jeff
No doubt shaft rockers are better, but against most folks advice, if you have a good setup of stud mount rockers, and large studs, and a good girdle, it’ll work fine. They have so many good stud mount rockers, even with the offset, if needed, and several good stud mount rockers on the market that clear the 1.625 spring. But do what best suits you.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Both are good heads just depends on what you want to spend. One requires shaft rockers and one doesn’t. I have tried a bunch of different things with the dragon slayers. They make power.
Eric
How long would it take typically for you to build a set of Dragonslayer heads?
Steve

·
Registered
808 Posts
Have worked with Eric on some of his builds and his customers seem very happy with his work he knows what works and the best thing about Eric his work is all done in house as where Chad farms out all his CNC work and I have seen the cons of that.

If your using Eagle rods with a 4.000 stroke you may want to thank about that as those rods from Eagle will come with one side of the cut right into the rod bolts on the cam side of the rods. You may want to look into the Callies Ultra -HD rods they give you a lot of extra cam to rod clearance.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Eric is doing his own CNC work?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Eric
How long would it take typically for you to build a set of Dragonslayer heads?
Steve
Typically 6 weeks but things got really busy early this year and really got me behind. However now I have more time because they shut down my day job for 30 days. The down side is I don’t know when I can get some parts because some companies are closed and some aren’t.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Eric is doing his own CNC work?
no. I have three cnc programs they are my 10xri Brodix head that I used for emc it is done by Reher Morrison. That head is very unusable because it was made just for the emc. My other cnc program is for a raised runner rhs head that BES does for me but since they stopped making that head that is waisted. My last cnc program is for a rhs bbc 320 head it was done by rottler. They did it to help me out for emc and because I was buying machines. It is since outdated and I can do better by hand.

I would have more cnc programs but by the time you pay for shipping to some company the only people making money are fed ex and the cnc companies. Plus none of my cnc heads flowed as good as the prototype they copied. I am very picky about things and I know some shops may accommodate that but that costs more. In the end I make no money working my tail off. I’m not all about the money but I don’t want to give it away for free. The only way around that is the volume you sell and I’m not going to whore my stuff to make a buck. Another thing I’m constantly trying new things that make the heads better( that’s why I date my heads) I would have to keep having things redigitized at my expense. I also don’t think it would help wait times because the cnc shops are busy too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
no. I have three cnc programs they are my 10xri Brodix head that I used for emc it is done by Reher Morrison. That head is very unusable because it was made just for the emc. My other cnc program is for a raised runner rhs head that BES does for me but since they stopped making that head that is waisted. My last cnc program is for a rhs bbc 320 head it was done by rottler. They did it to help me out for emc and because I was buying machines. It is since outdated and I can do better by hand.

I would have more cnc programs but by the time you pay for shipping to some company the only people making money are fed ex and the cnc companies. Plus none of my cnc heads flowed as good as the prototype they copied. I am very picky about things and I know some shops may accommodate that but that costs more. In the end I make no money working my tail off. I’m not all about the money but I don’t want to give it away for free. The only way around that is the volume you sell and I’m not going to whore my stuff to make a buck. Another thing I’m constantly trying new things that make the heads better( that’s why I date my heads) I would have to keep having things redigitized at my expense. I also don’t think it would help wait times because the cnc shops are busy too.

Eric, I totally understand all the costs involved. I run an OEM shop with 7 cnc machines. Carl just made it sound like you were doing your own machine work in house and I didn't think that was the case so I asked.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
That just proves why I don’t want to do cnc heads. If it cost me $600 for a good cnc work then another $200 in shipping both ways I’m out $800. I charge $900 to port a set of heads so in the end I make $100 a set. You still have to spend $1000 for digitizing so for the first 10sets you are just trying to break even. After that you have to sell 9 sets to make the same as one set before. In order to do that I have to post all the time to keep pushing. I don’t have time for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
That just proves why I don’t want to do cnc heads. If it cost me $600 for a good cnc work then another $200 in shipping both ways I’m out $800. I charge $900 to port a set of heads so in the end I make $100 a set. You still have to spend $1000 for digitizing so for the first 10sets you are just trying to break even. After that you have to sell 9 sets to make the same as one set before. In order to do that I have to post all the time to keep pushing. I don’t have time for that.
Keep pushing.. Got it..

You still don't get it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't forget , while the cnc is porting and you are not, it frees you up to make more money doing other things. Anyhow if your ports are good I am sure the cnc owner will give you a break if you let him use them. Win win for both.
Also, shouldn't your customer pay for the shipping? Mine always do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fellas for the replies (OP). I called JE a few weeks ago and the pistons will take a 2.15 and 1.60 exhaust with std valve spacing. I know I need 60/40 to go that. Either head 242 or 248 will work with my current short block set up. as the motor requires a head with a standard valve spacing. This is my thinking and would appreciate insight:

242 DS with a matching Super Victor Part number 2892 or....
248's with the shaft rocker and my current Dart Bow Tie intake
or V2.7 AD with super victor 2892 or
V2.7 AD with my current bow tie intake

I prefer to keep the rpm between 7200-7600. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You might make 7000 rpm peak with 2.7 area if everything else is spot on.If it was me and that kind of stroke I would want more min area.That being said if peak would be 7000 you could shift 75-7600 .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts