Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 Grand Prix, and was wondering a good starting point to put in on a diet. Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
A lot easier to find small amounts in many places than just trying to save in chunks. That being said more info would be helpful. Intended purpose etc. BTW those small amounts can usually be had on the cheap. Holes drilled here, bolts cut there etc.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
light rims and tires is one of the best places...battery in back helps little, fiberglass anything will help, not cheap but im sure u catch my drift...lexan is cheap too if u get from a glass company. hell i buy in bulk, then trim myself. winshild i think was about 40 bucks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nasty street car foundation, if all goes good. The car has Summit's Street Warriors, two bottles in the trunk, battery mounted in spare tire well. On the list is: gut the bumpers, fab lighter supports, remove sway bar, and search for places to trim. No luck on finding glass parts for Grand Prix, and not at lexan stage... Yet!

·
Brewmaster
12,585 Posts
Take out everything you don't need. If you still want it to look like a complete interior, take out everything you don't see.

·
Registered
275 Posts
aluminum is your friend! alum. rad, cylinder heads, bumper bracket, etc .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here are some of the things I've done to my GP which save weight:

-aluminum bumper braces front and rear
-remove sound proofing
-manual steering box (S10)
-manual brakes
-aluminum wheels
-remove AC
-remove front sway bar
-remove power antenna
-aluminum intake
-remove stereo

Things I have planned:
-remove heater
-clean-up wiring
-remove power seats
-fiberglass hood

As you can see, most of the weight loss comes from removing things you don't want/need anymore.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Gutting= doors, fenders, trunk, bumpers, interior, a/c and heater stuff. If you want interior to look stock, still gut everything, take everything out from behind dash that you dont need, and put it back in empty, same with doors, just cover your gutted doors with the plastic door panels.
Find a manual steering box or rack, control arms front, rear, upper and lowers
Brakes= front and rear again
Aluminum is good everywhere
Fiberglass " ditto "

JUST GO OFF ON IT, IF IT FAST ENOUGH TO NEED A CAGE IT WILL RE-SUPPORT CHASSIS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts