Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about removing the crash bars in the doors of my 1986 Buick Regal in order to reduce the weight of the car. Has anyone done this? Is it possible to do it without hurting the paint on the outside of the door?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Drill out the spot welds on either end of the door. The bar can be wiggled out the window channel with some prying. Or you can get something in there and cut it in half.

If your careful you should be able to do so without hurting the paint. I did mine on a bench off the car.

I never weighed mine ('79 Malibu), but as I recall others have stated the bars weight between 10 to 12 lbs each.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Yep both totaled 28 lbs be carful after not to lean on the door or it will cave in 4 inches real easy

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys. Thank you for the info. I was going to ask if the door gets real flimsy with them out. I guess it does.

I thought they would weigh more than that. Do you guys think it is worth the trouble for a bracket race car?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
not for the dial you own deal, its a lot of hassle if it painted and your not going to see any difference if its all the lightening you do

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I agree with Jeff that for bracket racing, 25 lbs won't really do much if anything for you.

Now, if you were putting the car on a serious diet along with other weight saving measures, then it would be worth the time/effort to remove the crash bars as every little bit adds up.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
i just did our doors i used a plasma , took about 15min per door , our door has some sound deadner on the inside i left it there to stiffen the skin a bit

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not for the dial you own deal, its a lot of hassle if it painted and your not going to see any difference if its all the lightening you do
Ok thanks guys. That's what I thought. With that weight savings I probably wouldn't see much difference. The doors are painted and the paint is in great shape so I didn't want to hurt it.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Jeff that for bracket racing, 25 lbs won't really do much if anything for you.

Now, if you were putting the car on a serious diet along with other weight saving measures, then it would be worth the time/effort to remove the crash bars as every little bit adds up.
If I was to put it on a serious diet what are some areas where I can save weight in this car without cutting it up a lot? I would like to keep a lot of the interior and the outside stock appearing so I can still run the NA Shootout Series. They require stock appearing interiors and exteriors.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
On my Monte SS, Im going with 'glass hood,trunk lid,rear bumper and dash. Also going to use alum. bumper mounts.(stock bumper mounts are heavy!)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
If I was to put it on a serious diet what are some areas where I can save weight in this car without cutting it up a lot? I would like to keep a lot of the interior and the outside stock appearing so I can still run the NA Shootout Series. They require stock appearing interiors and exteriors.

Thanks
John
I wrote this up a couple years ago. Pretty much common sense stuff really.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40043&hilit=weight+loss+checklist

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i did that saved a bunch

drilled the welds...opened a couple holes in the door to get in the cutoff wheel....pulled them out in 3 pieces a side.

doors are just fine without them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My GN door bars are gone doors are fine also have glass bumpers trunk lid and hood I also got a GM core support from 4 dr LeMans that is aluminum removed inside of front fenders
and skirts

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Iceman core support, or make your own. You can take a lot of 1 pound things out. Bumpers and bumper shocks are big killers use Glass bumpers and a moly mount or the bought aluminum ones

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mikey made the ones for my car and they are sweet,here they are after I powder coated them.They are easily as light if not lighter than the aluminum ones I have on the front.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I cut mine up more than they came and sucked the front bumper back so I could lose the filler My tube was only 2" or so before I changed and lost even more weight

1 - 20 of 25 Posts